Two body problem, deriving energy expression

In summary, the two body problem of two rotating point masses can be solved by equating the orbital energy per unit mass ##\epsilon## with the moments of momenta at the apses. This yields the equation ##\epsilon = -\mu/2a##. The values for ##r## at the apses can be used to substitute for velocity in the energy equation, resulting in the equation ##\epsilon = \frac{h^2}{2a^2(1-e)^2} - \frac{\mu}{a(1-e)}=\frac{h^2}{2a^2(1+e)^2} - \frac{\mu}{a(1+e)}##. To continue solving the problem
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

This problem relates to the two body problem of two rotating point masses, where one is much larger than the other. Equate the orbital energy per unit mass ##\epsilon## with the moments of momenta at the apses to get:
##\epsilon = -\mu/2a##

Homework Equations

The orbital energy per unit mass is ##\epsilon = \frac{1}{2}V^2 - \frac{\mu}{r}## where I think ##\mu = GM##
Moment of momentum in massless form is, I think, ##\mathbf{h}=\mathbf{r \times}\mathbf{v}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The apses are the periapsis ##r_p = a(1-e)## and the apoapsis ##r_a = a(1+e)##. I can insert these into the energy equation above to get:
##\epsilon = \frac{1}{2}V_p^2 - \frac{\mu}{a(1-e)}=\frac{1}{2}V_a^2 - \frac{\mu}{a(1+e)}## (1)

I know that the position and velocity vectors are always perpendicular, so
##h = rv##
##h^2 = r^2v^2##
I can use the values of ##r## at the apses (and conservation of h) to get:
##\frac{h^2}{a^2(1-e)^2}=V_p^2##
##\frac{h^2}{a^2(1+e)^2}=V_a^2##
Now inserting these values into the energy equation (1) above, I get:
##\epsilon = \frac{h^2}{2a^2(1-e)^2} - \frac{\mu}{a(1-e)}=\frac{h^2}{2a^2(1+e)^2} - \frac{\mu}{a(1+e)}##

Now I'm a bit stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
tomwilliam2 said:
Now I'm a bit stuck...

i think you should substitute for h in terms of mu , a and e and try to simplify

Thanks.

1. What is the Two-Body Problem?

The Two-Body Problem is a classical mechanics problem that involves predicting the motion of two massive bodies that are gravitationally attracted to one another. It is a fundamental problem in physics and has many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of planets in our solar system.

2. How is the energy expression derived in the Two-Body Problem?

The energy expression in the Two-Body Problem is derived using the conservation of energy principle. This principle states that in a closed system, energy is neither created nor destroyed, but rather it is transferred between different forms. By considering the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of the two bodies, we can derive an expression for the total energy of the system.

3. What is the significance of the energy expression in the Two-Body Problem?

The energy expression in the Two-Body Problem allows us to understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future motion. It also helps us to determine the stability of the system and identify any potential energy changes that may occur.

4. Can the energy expression be used to solve the Two-Body Problem for any type of orbit?

Yes, the energy expression can be used to solve the Two-Body Problem for any type of orbit, including circular, elliptical, and hyperbolic orbits. However, the specific equations and calculations may differ based on the type of orbit.

5. How does the energy expression relate to the conservation of angular momentum in the Two-Body Problem?

The energy expression and the conservation of angular momentum are closely related in the Two-Body Problem. Both principles stem from the fundamental law of conservation of energy and can be used to derive important equations and insights about the motion of the two bodies.