Two capacitors are connected in parallel

In summary, current flows into the capacitor when the battery charges it, but eventually reaches zero.
TwinCamGTS

Homework Statement

Two capacitors (C1 = 9.3 μF and C2 = 29 μF) are connected in parallel across a 12 V battery.
a) Find the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors.
Ceq=C1+C2=9.3+29=38.3μF

After some time has passed (use for rest of problem):
b) How much current flows in this circuit?
____A

c) Find the charge stored on each capacitor.
Q1 =____μC
Q2 =____μC

d) Calculate the potential energy stored by each capacitor:
U1 =____μJ
U2 =____μJ

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

U=(1/2)*C*V^2

I=dq/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

part b is where i got stuck. I don't know how to find the current flowing in the circuit if the time wasnt given to me. Current is a function of (dq/dt).
I know after for very long time, the current flow into the capacitor will be zero since the battery used all of its energy to charge the capacitor, therefore no current flow.
Can someone help me out? Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
The battery doesn't necessarily use up all its energy. You are in fact to assume that the battery voltage maintains 12V thruout.

Assume a small resistor in series with the battery and capacitor bank. What is the expression for current if the capacitors are initially uncharged and then the circuit is closed?

There is a formula for the energy stored in a capacitor as a function of its voltage and capacitance in your textbook, I'm sure. Or you can derive it by determining the total work done in moving charge Q from the - (bottom) plate to the + (top) plate where Q = CV. The plates start with q=0, a small amount of charge dq is removed from the bottom plate and moved to the top plate; this process is repeated until the full chatge Q sits on the top plate. As more and more charge is moved, the potential difference V increases, so the work done in moving a differential charge dq increases as the charges are moved.

Why distance is important in capacitance

We know that capacitance can be calculated by the formula C=εA/d where 'd' is the distance between parallel plates. But why distance should matter? Can anyone explain please. Thank you.

Do you understand the answer to your last question (post 1) before embarking on the next?

thanks guys... apparently the answer is current is reaching zero after sometimes.
and somehow we need to do the derivative. but i didnot do that, i just plug in the number
lucky guess

1. How does connecting capacitors in parallel affect their total capacitance?

When two capacitors are connected in parallel, their total capacitance is increased. This is because the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. So, connecting capacitors in parallel results in a larger overall capacitance.

2. What happens to the voltage of each capacitor when they are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the voltage across each capacitor remains the same. This is because the voltage across each capacitor is equal to the total voltage of the circuit. Therefore, connecting capacitors in parallel does not affect the voltage across each capacitor.

3. How does the total stored energy in the circuit change when capacitors are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the total stored energy in the circuit increases. This is because the total energy stored in a capacitor is proportional to its capacitance. Therefore, connecting capacitors in parallel results in a larger overall capacitance and thus, a larger total stored energy.

4. What is the equivalent capacitance of two capacitors connected in parallel?

The equivalent capacitance of two capacitors connected in parallel is equal to the sum of their individual capacitances. This means that the equivalent capacitance is larger than either of the individual capacitors. So, if two capacitors with capacitances of 2μF and 4μF are connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance would be 6μF.

5. Can two capacitors with different capacitances be connected in parallel?

Yes, two capacitors with different capacitances can be connected in parallel. The equivalent capacitance of the circuit would be the sum of their individual capacitances. However, it is important to note that the voltage across each capacitor must be the same when connected in parallel, so care must be taken when choosing the appropriate capacitors to use in this configuration.