Calculating Initial Speed for a 45 Degree Angle Basketball Shot

In summary: Also, you should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this one. No problem, but it is better to keep your questions separate.Anyway, to answer your question, you should equate time to the total time. You will get an equation that is quadratic in u, but at least you will be able to solve it.
oreo
I got stuck in problem which states: "A basket ball player 2m high wants to make a goal from 10m from basket. If he shoots the ball at a 45 degree angle, at what initial speed must he throw the basketball. Height of basket is 3.05m." Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework so the mods might move this to the homework section. You should also use the homework template which has sections to fill in. Saves us time repeating stuff you already know.

Hint: Write equations for the horizontal and vertical motion. Then realize that the time at which the ball goes through the hoop is the same in both equations. Should give you enough equations and known variables to allow you to solve for the launch velocity. Perhaps start by subtracting 2m from all the heights so that the ball is launched from the ground towards a hoop at height 1.05m high.

CWatters said:
Sounds like homework so the mods might move this to the homework section. You should also use the homework template which has sections to fill in. Saves us time repeating stuff you already know.

Hint: Write equations for the horizontal and vertical motion. Then realize that the time at which the ball goes through the hoop is the same in both equations. Should give you enough equations and known variables to allow you to solve for the launch velocity. Perhaps start by subtracting 2m from all the heights so that the ball is launched from the ground towards a hoop at height 1.05m high.
I have tried but it gives quadratic equations which make solution even more complicated.

shayan haider said:
I have tried but it gives quadratic equations which make solution even more complicated.
More complicated than what? Than no solution at all?
Please post your working as far as you can get. Since, as CW pointed out, you have to use common time to connect the horizontal and vertical motions, solving a quadratic will be unavoidable.

Quite frequently there are two solutions to projectile problems. For example if you throw a ball there will be two occasions when it's at height X, once on the way up and once on the way down. So perhaps not surprising there is a quadratic to be solved sometimes.

Perhaps use..
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/quadform.htm

haruspex said:
More complicated than what? Than no solution at all?
Please post your working as far as you can get. Since, as CW pointed out, you have to use common time to connect the horizontal and vertical motions, solving a quadratic will be unavoidable.
I have derived equations for common time
CWatters said:
Quite frequently there are two solutions to projectile problems. For example if you throw a ball there will be two occasions when it's at height X, once on the way up and once on the way down. So perhaps not surprising there is a quadratic to be solved sometimes.

Perhaps use..
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/quadform.htm
I have an attempt in solving it. Please guide me how to carry on further.See the figure

Attachments

• 1420453423488-1176244697.jpg
    1420453423488-1176244697.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 402
Can you show us your working to get to the equation in that image.

CWatters said:
Can you show us your working to get to the equation in that image.
What should I equate time to? I have equated it equal to " total time - time to reach 10m distance" but it gives equation of degree 4.

shayan haider said:
it gives equation of degree 4
Please post your working (sigh). We can't tell what you are doing wrong otherwise.

What is two dimensional motion?

Two dimensional motion is the movement of an object in two directions, typically represented by the x and y axes. This type of motion can occur in both linear and curved paths.

What is the difference between two dimensional motion and one dimensional motion?

The main difference is that two dimensional motion involves movement in two directions, while one dimensional motion only involves movement in one direction. In other words, two dimensional motion is two dimensional, while one dimensional motion is one dimensional.

How is two dimensional motion represented graphically?

Two dimensional motion is often represented on a graph with the x-axis representing one direction of motion and the y-axis representing the other direction. The position of the object at any given time can be shown by a point on the graph, and the slope of the line connecting multiple points can indicate the speed or velocity of the object.

What factors can affect two dimensional motion?

Some factors that can affect two dimensional motion include external forces, such as gravity or air resistance, and the initial velocity and direction of the object. The shape and mass of the object can also play a role in its motion.

How is the motion of an object in two dimensions calculated?

The motion of an object in two dimensions can be calculated using the principles of kinematics, which involves using equations to determine the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time. These equations take into account factors such as initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and any external forces acting on the object.