Disc Material and Vibration: Which Causes Higher Vibration, Iron or Aluminum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two discs of different materials are rotating at the same speed on an ideal shaft. The question is whether the vibration measured in the radial direction would be higher or lower for the iron disc versus the aluminum disc. The person asking the question provides clarification that the discs are in a steady state and have the same weight attached.
Honza
Hi all,

I´m sorry for my sort of trivial issue to solve. Anyway, imagine two discs rotating at the same rpm. They are the same size - same radius, same thickness. The mass is ideally distributed around the axis, so there is originally no disbalance. One of the disc is made of iron, the second one is aluminum so there is significant difference between both mass. Each disc is placed on ideal shaft in bearings. I put exactly the same weight on the same radius and i measure vibration in radial direction. What´s the result? Do i measure higher/lower vibration on iron or aluminum disc?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why do you expect vibration? the discs may slow down but why would they vibrate?

Sorry for my terrible explanation. It´s steady state situation. Both discs are spinning with the same weight attached at the constant angular velocity.

What is the concept of two disc and the vibration?

The concept of two disc and the vibration refers to a scientific experiment where two discs are placed in close proximity and are made to vibrate at different frequencies. This experiment is commonly used to study the effects of resonance and frequency on vibrations.

What is the purpose of conducting an experiment with two disc and the vibration?

The purpose of conducting an experiment with two disc and the vibration is to understand the principles of resonance and frequency and how they affect vibrations. This experiment is also used to study the behavior of different materials and their response to vibrations.

How do the two discs vibrate at different frequencies?

The two discs can be made to vibrate at different frequencies by using a motor or an external force to create vibrations in one of the discs while the other disc remains stationary. The vibrations can also be adjusted by changing the size, shape, or material of the discs.

What are the potential applications of the two disc and the vibration experiment?

The experiment with two disc and the vibration has various potential applications in different fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It can be used to study the behavior of structures under different frequencies and to design structures that can withstand vibrations.

What are the limitations of the two disc and the vibration experiment?

Some limitations of the experiment with two disc and the vibration include the simplification of real-world scenarios, the difficulty in accurately controlling the frequencies and amplitudes of the vibrations, and the potential for external factors to affect the results of the experiment.