Two Equilibrium problems; please correct my work

In summary, equilibrium in a scientific context is a state of balance between opposing forces or processes, often referring to the equal rates of forward and reverse reactions. To solve equilibrium problems, one must write out the balanced chemical equation, set up an equilibrium expression, and use the given information to solve for unknown variables. An example of a two equilibrium problem is the reaction of nitrogen and hydrogen to form ammonia, with two separate equilibria for the formation of nitrogen monoxide and the reaction of NO with hydrogen. The difference between static and dynamic equilibrium is that in static equilibrium, there is no net change in the system, while in dynamic equilibrium, the forward and reverse reactions are still occurring and the concentrations may change over time. A reaction has reached equilibrium
Soju
Hello;

I've run into two problems on my equilibrium homework. I've attached a pdf document which shows the questions and the work I've done to solve them.

Please let me know where I am going wrong!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• eq problems.pdf
    444 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey all... I managed to get the first question right (attached with sln!)

Can't figure out #2 on the pdf still.

Attachments

• Question 1 sln.png
    Question 1 sln.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 435

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in a scientific context?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which there is a balance between opposing forces or processes. In the context of science, it often refers to the state of a system where the rates of forward and reverse reactions are equal.

2. How do you solve equilibrium problems?

To solve equilibrium problems, you first need to write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, set up an equilibrium expression using the concentration (or partial pressures) of the reactants and products. Finally, use the given information and the equilibrium expression to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can you give an example of a two equilibrium problem?

An example of a two equilibrium problem would be the reaction of nitrogen gas (N2) and hydrogen gas (H2) to form ammonia (NH3). The first equilibrium is the formation of nitrogen monoxide (NO) from N2 and oxygen (O2). The second equilibrium is the reaction of NO with H2 to form NH3.

4. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, there is no net change in the system as the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate. In dynamic equilibrium, there is still no net change, but the forward and reverse reactions are still occurring and the concentrations of reactants and products may change over time.

5. How do you know if a reaction has reached equilibrium?

A reaction has reached equilibrium when the concentrations (or partial pressures) of the reactants and products remain constant over time. In other words, the system is no longer changing and the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at the same rate.