Integrating Tricky Functions: Problems with Homework Statements

• Thread starter La_Lune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, for the integral ∫xe^x/√(1+e^x) dx from ln3 to ln8, using the substitution u = √(1+e^x), leads to the solution of x = ln(u^2 - 1) = ln(u + 1) + ln(u - 1) and dx = (1/(u+1) + 1/(u-1))du. This simplifies the integral to 2x√(1+e^x)-2∫√(1+e^x)dx, which can be solved using integration by parts.
La_Lune

Homework Statement

a) ∫xe^x/√(1+e^x) dx from ln3 to ln8
b)∫arccos(tanx)dx from -π/4 to π/4

Homework Equations

uv-∫vdu? Not so sure about this

The Attempt at a Solution

For question a I tried to make e^x/√(1+e^x)=dv and x=u, but then my result was different from the correct answer, so I guess perhaps I was proceeding the wrong way...For question b I really don't have any idea, perhaps I should substitute tanx with something? Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part(a), that looks like your method should work

dv = ex/√(1+ex) dx → v = 2√(1+ex)

and of course, u = x → du = dx

For part (b), all I could come up with is a graphical solution combined with relating the integral of a function with the integral of the function's inverse.

Added in edit:

cos(θ) = sin(π/2 - θ)

So, arccos(u) = π/2 - arcsin(u)

Therefore, [tex]\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\arccos(\tan(x))dx=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\arcsin(\tan(x))\right)dx\ .[/tex]

Split this into two integrals, and notice that arcsin(tan(x)) is and odd function.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
For part(a), that looks like your method should work

dv = ex/√(1+ex) dx → v = 2√(1+ex)

and of course, u = x → du = dx

For part (b), all I could come up with is a graphical solution combined with relating the integral of a function with the integral of the function's inverse.

Added in edit:

cos(θ) = sin(π/2 - θ)

So, arccos(u) = π/2 - arcsin(u)

Therefore, [tex]\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\arccos(\tan(x))dx=\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\arcsin(\tan(x))\right)dx\ .[/tex]

Split this into two integrals, and notice that arcsin(tan(x)) is and odd function.

Thank you so much SammyS! The method for question b worked like a charm! Can you please tell me how I shall proceed with question a? I mean using integration by parts I got this:

2x√(1+e^x)-2∫√(1+e^x)dx but I don't know how to find the integral of the second part...

Last edited:
La_Lune said:
Thank you so much SammyS! The method for question b worked like a charm! Can you please tell me how I shall proceed with question a? I mean using integration by parts I got this:

2x√(1+e^x)-2∫√(1+e^x)dx but I don't know how to find the integral of the second part...
That integral looks rather tough. WolframAlpha does a rather involved set of substitutions, but try the following instead.

[tex]\text{Let }u = \sqrt{1 + e^x}\ \ \to\ \ x=\ln(u^2-1)=\ln(u+1)+\ln(u-1)\ \ \to\ \ dx=\left(\frac{1}{u+1}+\frac{1}{u-1}\right)du\ .[/tex]

This works out fairly well.

SammyS said:
That integral looks rather tough. WolframAlpha does a rather involved set of substitutions, but try the following instead.

[tex]\text{Let }u = \sqrt{1 + e^x}\ \ \to\ \ x=\ln(u^2-1)=\ln(u+1)+\ln(u-1)\ \ \to\ \ dx=\left(\frac{1}{u+1}+\frac{1}{u-1}\right)du\ .[/tex]

This works out fairly well.

I thank you so much~it seems that one should really be flexible while trying to use substitution :)

Related to Integrating Tricky Functions: Problems with Homework Statements

1. What are two integral problems?

Two integral problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid, using the concept of integration.

2. What are the applications of two integral problems in real life?

Two integral problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems related to finding the area, volume, or total value of a function. For example, they can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by a moving object, the total amount of work done by a force, or the total cost of a product.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral is a general solution that represents a family of functions, while a definite integral is a specific value that represents the area or volume under a curve. In other words, an indefinite integral has a constant added to the solution, while a definite integral has specific limits of integration.

4. How are two integral problems solved?

Two integral problems can be solved using different integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The solution involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the given limits of integration for a definite integral or adding a constant for an indefinite integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving two integral problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving two integral problems include forgetting to add a constant for an indefinite integral, using the wrong integration technique, or making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to carefully check the steps and the final solution to ensure accuracy.