Two linear algebra questions

In summary, there is an inner product on R2 such that the associated norm is given by ||x1,x2||= |x1[/sup]|+ |x2[/sup]| for all (x1, x2) in R2 if and only if the inner product satisfies <x, y> = a for some a that satisfies the condition \sqrt{a}= |x_1|+ |x_2|.
jimmypoopins
1. Suppose [tex]V = U \bigoplus W[/tex] where U and W are nonzero subspaces of V. Find all eigenvalues and eigenvectors of [tex]P_{U,W}[/tex].

As long as [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0 is an eigenvalue of [tex]P_{U,W}[/tex], i can prove that [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]=1 are the only eigenvalues and then find the corresponding eigenvectors. can anyone help me to show how [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0 is an eigenvalue of [tex]P_{U,W}[/tex]? does it have to do with the fact that Null([tex]P_{U,W}[/tex])=W?

2. Prove or disprove: there is an inner product on [tex]R^{2}[/tex] such that the associated norm is given by [tex]\|(x_1,x_2)\| = |x_1| + |x_2|[/tex] for all [tex](x_1,x_2)[/tex] in [tex]R^{2}[/tex].

we just started inner product spaces and the wording on this problem confuses me a lot. i can find an example of two vectors that disprove the statement for one inner product induced by the norm, but not for all inner products. the question wants an example that works for all inner products, right? (if i am to disprove it, i mean.) can someone push me in the right direction?

thanks for the help.

edit: nevermind, I think i figured out 1. since W = null P, all nonzero w in W satisfy (P-lambdaI)w=Pw=0, so lambda=0 is an eigenvalue. i still need help with 2 though

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it has everything to do with nullspace([tex]P_{U,W}[/tex])= V!

If V is trivial, that is if V contains only the 0 vector, U= W and, of course, [itex]P_{U,W}[/itex] is just the identity operator. It has only eigenvalue 1 and every vector in W as an eigenvector. So, strictly speaking it is not true that 0 must be an eigenvalue. However, as you say, if V is not trivial then P(v)= 0= 0v for every vector in P and 0 is an eigenvalue with any vector in V an eigenvector.

2. Prove or disprove: there is an inner product on R2 such that the associated norm is given by ||x1,x2||= |x1[/sup]|+ |x2[/sup]| for all (x1, x2) in R2.

we just started inner product spaces and the wording on this problem confuses me a lot. i can find an example of two vectors that disprove the statement for one inner product induced by the norm, but not for all inner products. the question wants an example that works for all inner products, right?

Two vectors that disprove what statement? No, this does want an example that works for all inner products. It specifically says "there is an inner product".

Given an inner product, <u, v> the "associated norm" is defined by [itex]||x||= \sqrt{<x, >}[/itex]. If x= (x1, x2), then you want [itex]\sqrt{<(x_1, x_2), (x_1,x_2)>}= |x_1|+ |x_2|[/itex]. Can you define an inner product so that is true?
To simplify, let [itex]<x[_1, x_2]), (x_1,x_2)>= a [/itex]. You want [itex]\sqrt{a}= |x_1|+ |x_2|[/itex]. Does such an a satisfy the conditions for an inner product?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It is usually denoted by an arrow or a bold letter and can be visualized as a line segment with an arrowhead. In linear algebra, a vector is an element of a vector space, which can be represented by a column or row of numbers.

3. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations. In linear algebra, matrices are manipulated using various operations such as addition, scalar multiplication, and matrix multiplication.

4. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra. An eigenvector is a nonzero vector that, when multiplied by a matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. The corresponding scalar is called the eigenvalue. They are used to understand the behavior of linear transformations and solve systems of differential equations.

5. How is linear algebra applied in real life?

Linear algebra has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used in image processing, data compression, machine learning, and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in creating 3D graphics and animations in video games and movies.