Two problems on Electric Fields and Electric Potential

In summary, the first problem involves finding the electric field E(r) for a given electric potential V = C · r, where C is a constant vector. To solve this, we can use the relationship E = -∇V and convert to Cartesian coordinates. The second problem involves determining if a given vector field is irrotational, and if so, finding the potential function. We can use the relationship ∇ X V = 0 and integrate to find V, with an arbitrary function of y as the constant of integration.
Momentous

Homework Statement

1st Problem
(a) Consider the electric potential V = C . r, where C is a constant vector. Find the electric field E(r).
(b) For a given uniform electric field E = E(0)z^, using part (a) find the electric potential for this electric field
-------------------------------------------------
2nd Problem
Consider the field E = (2x^2 - 2xy - 2y^2)x^ + (-x^2 -4xy + y^2)y^. Is this field irrotational? If so, what is the potential function?

Homework Equations

A.B = ABcosθ

Curl = ∇ X V (any vector V)

E = -∇V

V = -∫ E.dI

The Attempt at a Solution

1st Problem

First I wrote down V as a dot product

V = Crcosθ

Next, I figured that I should use E = -∇V
I'm not show how I would do this, with r and θ

Would converting to spherical coordinates help here? Or did I just mess up from the beginning?

-----------------------
2nd Problem

I am aware that a vector is irrotational when ∇ X V = 0
I know that I have to take the curl of this vector, and it will equal 0.

Next, I was going to use
V = -∫ E.dI

The only issue is that it's been a long time since I've done a line integral. The electric field vector is written in vector notation, but is that how I put it into the integral? Part of me feels that I have to use stokes theorem, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd do from there. Since ∇ X E = 0, wouldn't Stokes theorem give me a double integral of 0?
-------
My vector calc is very rusty, so I think that's the area that's messing me up with these problems.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentous said:
1st Problem

Would converting to spherical coordinates help here? Or did I just mess up from the beginning?

I would suggest sticking with Cartesian coordinates. Can you write out the dot product [itex]\vec{C}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in Cartesian coordinates?

2nd Problem

I am aware that a vector is irrotational when ∇ X V = 0
I know that I have to take the curl of this vector, and it will equal 0.

Next, I was going to use
V = -∫ E.dI

The only issue is that it's been a long time since I've done a line integral. The electric field vector is written in vector notation, but is that how I put it into the integral? Part of me feels that I have to use stokes theorem, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd do from there. Since ∇ X E = 0, wouldn't Stokes theorem give me a double integral of 0?
-------
My vector calc is very rusty, so I think that's the area that's messing me up with these problems.

How is the x-component of E related to V? How is the y-component of E related to V?
Can you see a way to find V from these relations?

Well I guess the dot product in Cartesian is just

C(x)r(x) + C(y)r(y) + C(z)r(z)
From that, I would do E = -∇V, if that makes any sense.

For the second problem, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I know that you can integrate to find V, but again I'm not really sure how I can do that.

Momentous said:
Well I guess the dot product in Cartesian is just

C(x)r(x) + C(y)r(y) + C(z)r(z)
From that, I would do E = -∇V, if that makes any sense.
Yes, that's right. You should find that E has a simple relation to the vector C.
For the second problem, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I know that you can integrate to find V, but again I'm not really sure how I can do that.

From E = -∇V, you have ∂V/x= -Ex, where Ex is given. See if you can integrate this with respect to x while keeping y constant.

hmm ok, so then if I took the negative gradient of that dot product, I would assume that I would get

E = -C(x)v(x) - C(y)v(y) - C(z)v(z)
when taking the derivative of the position vector. Unless it's not a time derivative, then I guess I would just leave it once I put in the gradient notation.
--------------

So then if I did it separately, I would have

V(x) = [-(2x^3)/3 + yx^2 + 2xy^2]
V(y) = [yx^2 + 2xy^2 - (y^3)/3]

V = V(x) + V(y) = 2yx^2 + 4xy^2 - (2/3)x^3 - (y^3)/3

That seems close, but when I take the partial derivatives I don't get exactly what I started with. I think I messed up in a spot or two

Momentous said:
hmm ok, so then if I took the negative gradient of that dot product, I would assume that I would get

E = -C(x)v(x) - C(y)v(y) - C(z)v(z)
when taking the derivative of the position vector. Unless it's not a time derivative, then I guess I would just leave it once I put in the gradient notation.
--------------

It's not a time derivative. The gradient here involves spatial derivatives. Note that the x,y,z components of the vector ##\vec{r}## are just x, y, and z. So, what you wrote as r(x) is just x, etc. Hence ##\vec{C}\cdot \vec{r} = C_x x+C_y y + C_z z##

So then if I did it separately, I would have

V(x) = [-(2x^3)/3 + yx^2 + 2xy^2]
V(y) = [yx^2 + 2xy^2 - (y^3)/3]

V = V(x) + V(y) = 2yx^2 + 4xy^2 - (2/3)x^3 - (y^3)/3

That seems close, but when I take the partial derivatives I don't get exactly what I started with. I think I messed up in a spot or two

This isn't quite the way to do it. You started out ok. When you integrate Ex = -∂V/∂x you must allow for a "constant" of integration. Since you are keeping y constant as you integrate, the "constant" of integration can actually be an arbitrary function of y, say f(y).

So, you will get V(x,y) = -2x3/3 + yx2 + 2xy2 + f(y).

To find the function f(y), set -∂V(x,y)/∂y = -Ey which should allow you to find an expression for f '(y) which you can then integrate to find f(y).

Oh alright, that makes a lot more sense

Is that second problem basically the same as testing for exactness in ODE?

Momentous said:
Is that second problem basically the same as testing for exactness in ODE?

Yes, exactly :smile:

Related to Two problems on Electric Fields and Electric Potential

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It is represented by a vector and is a measure of the force that an electric charge would experience at any given point in space.

2. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured by the electric force per unit charge, also known as the electric field intensity. It is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the potential energy that an electric charge has at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

4. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of an electric charge, while electric field is a measure of the force that an electric charge would experience at a certain point in space. In other words, electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.

5. How are electric potential and electric field related?

Electric potential and electric field are related by the formula V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field intensity, and d is the distance between the point and the source of the electric field. This formula shows that the electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field intensity and the distance between the point and the source.