1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two real analysis problems: proving constancy and a uniform convergence problem

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    The problem statement

Let [itex]f:[a,b]→\mathbb{R}[/itex] be differentiable and assume that [itex]f(a)=0[/itex] and [tex]\left|f'(x)\right|\leq A\left|f(x)\right|, x\in [a,b].[/tex]
    Show that [itex]f(x)=0,x\in [a,b][/itex].

The attempt at a solution

It was hinted at that the solution was partly as follows. Let [itex]a \leq x_0 \leq b[/itex]. For all [itex]x\in [a,x_0][/itex] [tex]\left|f(x)\right|\leq (x_0-a)\underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f'(x)\right|\leq A(x_0-a)\underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f(x)\right|.[/tex] Then we should ask what happens for [itex]A(x_0-a)<1[/itex].

The first inequality follows from the mean value theorem and the second from the given equation. When [itex]A(x_0-a)<1[/itex], then [tex]\left|f(x)\right|< \underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f(x)\right|.[/tex] I do not see how this would imply the proposed relation.

EDIT: I have already solved the next problem.

The problem statement

Is the series [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{x^n(1-x)}{n}[/tex] uniformly convergent on [itex][0,1][/itex]?

The attempt at a solution

I suspect it is. I want to use the Weierstrass M-test, but obviously the sequence [itex]M_n=1/n[/itex] doesn't work as a bound since [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n}[/tex] does not converge. I can't figure how to produce a tighter bound than [itex]M_n=1/n[/itex].
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    I just wanted to say that I have solved the second problem. By finding the maximum of [itex]x^n(1-x)[/itex] by differentiating it and setting it to zero, we can get the inequality [itex]x^n(1-x) < 1/n[/itex]. I feel a little silly for not considering that before.

I am still breaking my brain over the first problem, though. If anyone has any suggestion on how to solve it, I'd love to hear from you.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

What's A, Sensei? Is it a positive constant?

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe this will help: Since f(0)=f(1)=0, check to see what happens with values like
    1/4, 1/2 and 3/4; if these values do not go towards 0, the series cannot converge uniformly. Similarly, try to see where the maximum is for the genersl product x(1-x)n to get an idea of how convergence happens.

6. Oct 13, 2011 #5
    A is indeed a positive constant. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Also, I have solved the second problem, so I don't need help with that anymore.

7. Oct 14, 2011 #6
    First prove it for the special case where [a,b] = [0,1]. Then let [itex] g: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] be defined by [itex] g(x) = f(a + (b-a)x) [/itex]. Using your special case proof, conclude that g = 0, from which your theorem follows.

8. Oct 14, 2011 #7
    Alright, that is a nice strategy. But I still have to prove the special case, which I still can't seem to do.

I have made the following attempt at proving the general case in one go.

Choose [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]a<c<b[/itex] and [itex]A/(c-a)>1[/itex]. Let us assume for contradiction that there exists an [itex]x_0\in [a,c][/itex] satisfying [itex]f(x_0)\neq 0[/itex]. By the mean value theorem there then exists an [itex]x_1\in (a,x_0)[/itex] satisfying [itex]|f'(x_1)|=|f(x_0)|/(x_0-a)[/itex]. But [itex]|f(x_1)|\geq A|f'(x_1)|=A|f(x_0)|/(x_0-a)> |f(x_0)|>0[/itex] We can repeat this procedure to construct a sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex]. In general there exists an [itex]x_n\in (a,x_{n-1})[/itex] satisfying [itex]|f(x_n)|>0[/itex].

Now if I can prove that the sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] converges to [itex]a[/itex], then I am done. This is because then [itex]\lim x_n=a[/itex] but [itex]\lim f(x_n)\neq f(a)[/itex], which implies that [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous, which contradicts the hypothesis of [itex]f[/itex] being differentiable. This would allow me to say that for all [itex]x\in [a,c][/itex] [itex], f(x)=0[/itex]. But then I can apply the same argument to the interval [itex][c, a+2(c-a)][/itex] (the interval of length [itex](c-a)[/itex] which lies next to [itex][a,c][/itex]) and so on.

The problem is, I can't prove that [itex]\lim x_n=a[/itex].

[itex][/itex]
    [tex][/tex]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook