Two real analysis problems: proving constancy and a uniform convergence problem

In summary, the first problem involves proving that a differentiable function with certain conditions on its derivative must be equal to zero on a closed interval. The second problem involves determining whether a given series is uniformly convergent on a specific interval. The strategy for the first problem is to first prove it for the special case and then use a generalization to prove it for any closed interval. The second problem can be solved by finding a tighter bound for the given series.
Mr.Miyagi
The problem statement

Let [itex]f:[a,b]→\mathbb{R}[/itex] be differentiable and assume that [itex]f(a)=0[/itex] and [tex]\left|f'(x)\right|\leq A\left|f(x)\right|, x\in [a,b].[/tex]
Show that [itex]f(x)=0,x\in [a,b][/itex].

The attempt at a solution

It was hinted at that the solution was partly as follows. Let [itex]a \leq x_0 \leq b[/itex]. For all [itex]x\in [a,x_0][/itex] [tex]\left|f(x)\right|\leq (x_0-a)\underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f'(x)\right|\leq A(x_0-a)\underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f(x)\right|.[/tex] Then we should ask what happens for [itex]A(x_0-a)<1[/itex].

The first inequality follows from the mean value theorem and the second from the given equation. When [itex]A(x_0-a)<1[/itex], then [tex]\left|f(x)\right|< \underset{[a,x_0]}{\sup}\left|f(x)\right|.[/tex] I do not see how this would imply the proposed relation.

EDIT: I have already solved the next problem.

The problem statement

Is the series [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{x^n(1-x)}{n}[/tex] uniformly convergent on [itex][0,1][/itex]?

The attempt at a solution

I suspect it is. I want to use the Weierstrass M-test, but obviously the sequence [itex]M_n=1/n[/itex] doesn't work as a bound since [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{1}{n}[/tex] does not converge. I can't figure how to produce a tighter bound than [itex]M_n=1/n[/itex].

Homework Statement

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted to say that I have solved the second problem. By finding the maximum of [itex]x^n(1-x)[/itex] by differentiating it and setting it to zero, we can get the inequality [itex]x^n(1-x) < 1/n[/itex]. I feel a little silly for not considering that before.

I am still breaking my brain over the first problem, though. If anyone has any suggestion on how to solve it, I'd love to hear from you.

What's A, Sensei? Is it a positive constant?

Maybe this will help: Since f(0)=f(1)=0, check to see what happens with values like
1/4, 1/2 and 3/4; if these values do not go towards 0, the series cannot converge uniformly. Similarly, try to see where the maximum is for the genersl product x(1-x)n to get an idea of how convergence happens.

A is indeed a positive constant. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Also, I have solved the second problem, so I don't need help with that anymore.

First prove it for the special case where [a,b] = [0,1]. Then let [itex] g: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] be defined by [itex] g(x) = f(a + (b-a)x) [/itex]. Using your special case proof, conclude that g = 0, from which your theorem follows.

Alright, that is a nice strategy. But I still have to prove the special case, which I still can't seem to do.

I have made the following attempt at proving the general case in one go.

Choose [itex]c[/itex] such that [itex]a<c<b[/itex] and [itex]A/(c-a)>1[/itex]. Let us assume for contradiction that there exists an [itex]x_0\in [a,c][/itex] satisfying [itex]f(x_0)\neq 0[/itex]. By the mean value theorem there then exists an [itex]x_1\in (a,x_0)[/itex] satisfying [itex]|f'(x_1)|=|f(x_0)|/(x_0-a)[/itex]. But [itex]|f(x_1)|\geq A|f'(x_1)|=A|f(x_0)|/(x_0-a)> |f(x_0)|>0[/itex] We can repeat this procedure to construct a sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex]. In general there exists an [itex]x_n\in (a,x_{n-1})[/itex] satisfying [itex]|f(x_n)|>0[/itex].

Now if I can prove that the sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] converges to [itex]a[/itex], then I am done. This is because then [itex]\lim x_n=a[/itex] but [itex]\lim f(x_n)\neq f(a)[/itex], which implies that [itex]f[/itex] is not continuous, which contradicts the hypothesis of [itex]f[/itex] being differentiable. This would allow me to say that for all [itex]x\in [a,c][/itex] [itex], f(x)=0[/itex]. But then I can apply the same argument to the interval [itex][c, a+2(c-a)][/itex] (the interval of length [itex](c-a)[/itex] which lies next to [itex][a,c][/itex]) and so on.

The problem is, I can't prove that [itex]\lim x_n=a[/itex].

[itex][/itex]
[tex][/tex]

Last edited:

What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and behavior of real numbers and real-valued functions. It involves techniques for understanding and proving theorems about continuous, differentiable, and integrable functions.

How do you prove constancy?

To prove constancy, you must show that a function has the same output for all inputs. This can be done by using the definition of a constant function, which states that a function is constant if and only if its derivative is equal to zero for all inputs. Alternatively, you can use the intermediate value theorem to show that the function's range is a single value.

What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence in which a sequence of functions approaches its limit function at a rate that is independent of the input. This means that the functions in the sequence get closer and closer to the limit function at the same speed, regardless of the input value.

How do you prove uniform convergence?

To prove uniform convergence, you must show that the difference between the sequence of functions and the limit function becomes smaller and smaller as the input increases. This can be done by using the Cauchy criterion or the Weierstrass M-test.

What is the importance of these types of analysis problems?

These types of analysis problems are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their outputs. They also provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.