How High Does a Two-Stage Rocket Reach?

In summary, the problem involves a two-stage rocket where the first stage has a constant upward acceleration of 3.50 m/s^2 and the second stage has a sudden boost in speed to 132.5 m/s. The maximum height that the second stage reaches above the launch pad is 895.7m and it takes approximately 31.5 seconds for the rocket to fall back to the launch pad. The stage two rocket will be moving at a speed of 132.5 m/s just as it reaches the launch pad.
eeriana

Homework Statement

In the first stage of a two stage rocket, the rocket is fired fro, the launch pad starting from rest but with a constant acceleration of 3.50 m/s^2 upward. At 25.0 s after launch, the rocket fires the second stage, which suddenly boosts its speed to 132.5 m/s upward. This firing uses up all the fuel, however, so then the only force acting on the rocket is gravity. negligible air resistance. a) find the maximum height that the stage-two rocket reaches above the launch pad. b) how much time after the stage-two firing will it take for the rocket to fall back to the launch pad? c) how fast with the stage two rocket be moving just as it reaches the launch pad.

Homework Equations

These are the equations I have:
V^2=Vo^2 +2a(X-Xo)
V=Vo+at
X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2
X-Xo=1/2(Vo+V)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I am new here, and am word problem challenged! I have a hard time extracting the information and setting it up.

I have Xo=0 a=3.5m/s^2 t=25s Vo=0
stage two Vo=132 m/s V=0 Xo=0 a=-9.8m/s^2 x=?

0=(132.5m/s)^2 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)(X-0)
0=17556.25 m^2/s^2 -19.6m/s^2x
X= 895.7m

the I get
t=? Xo= 895.7m X=0 Vo= 132.5 m/s V=0

Sorry I don't have more, but that is where I get stuck... The second stage is throwing me. I don't know if I am extracting the information correctly and then getting it set up.

Any help or suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is to solve two problems - one for stage 1 and the other for stage 2.

Stage 1: Xo=0 a=3.5m/s^2 t=25s Vo=0 correct, V(t=25s) = 132.5 m/s

Stage 2: Vo=132.5 m/s a=-9.8m/s^2 x=? correct, but V=0 Xo=0 are not correct.

The rocket is at some height after accelerating with stage 1 for 25s. One needs to solve for that height for the stage 1 operation.

Stage 2 has basically starts at the height (from part 1), with an initial velocity of 132.5 m/s and gradually decelerates to maximum altitude.

So for part 1 and part 2, write the appropriate equations.

See this for some reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Last edited:

Hi Amy,

First of all, great job on setting up the equations correctly! Your approach is correct so far.

To find the maximum height the stage-two rocket reaches, you can use the equation for displacement: X=Xo+Vot+1/2at^2. In this case, Xo=895.7m, Vo=132.5m/s, and a=-9.8m/s^2. The only unknown is t, so you can solve for it by plugging in the given values and solving for t. This will give you the time at which the rocket reaches its maximum height.

To find the time it takes for the rocket to fall back to the launch pad, you can use the same equation but with X=0 (since the rocket falls back to the launch pad, its final displacement is 0). You already know the value for Xo, Vo, and a, so you can solve for t and this will give you the time it takes for the rocket to fall back to the launch pad.

To find the final velocity of the rocket just as it reaches the launch pad, you can use the equation V=Vo+at, where Vo=132.5m/s, a=-9.8m/s^2, and t is the time you found in the previous step. This will give you the final velocity of the rocket just as it reaches the launch pad.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your problem solving!

1. What is a two stage rocket?

A two stage rocket is a type of rocket that has two separate stages or sections. The first stage is responsible for launching the rocket off the ground and getting it to a certain altitude, while the second stage takes over and continues the journey to a higher altitude or into orbit.

2. How does a two stage rocket work?

A two stage rocket works by igniting the first stage, which typically contains the most powerful engines, to lift the rocket off the ground. Once the first stage runs out of fuel, it is detached and the second stage takes over with its engines firing to continue the journey into space.

3. What are the advantages of using a two stage rocket?

One of the main advantages of using a two stage rocket is that it allows for a larger payload capacity. By using two stages, the first stage can be optimized for a shorter, more powerful flight, while the second stage can be optimized for a longer, more efficient flight. This allows for more weight to be carried into space.

4. What are the challenges of designing a two stage rocket?

Designing a two stage rocket can be challenging because it requires careful planning and coordination between the two stages. The first stage must be precise in its timing and power to launch the rocket off the ground, while the second stage must be designed to continue the journey into space without any malfunctions.

5. How is a two stage rocket different from a single stage rocket?

A single stage rocket only has one section or stage, which means it must carry all of its fuel and engines for the entire journey. This limits its payload capacity and overall potential height or distance it can travel. A two stage rocket, on the other hand, can detach its first stage and continue the journey with a lighter and more efficient second stage, allowing for a greater payload and higher altitude or distance reached.