Two torqued and hanging constrained rods

• Thread starter pc100
  • Start date
In summary, The problem involves a double pendulum configuration with two massless rods connected by a revolute joint, and one end of the rods connected to a wall with a free pin joint. A torque τ appears between the rods causing both the top and bottom masses to rotate around a pseudo-center-of-mass point (marked as P on the figure). The wall acts as a constraint in the system, causing some unusual behavior that complicates finding a closed form solution. The constraint at point b (mass m2) allows it to slide around in the plane of the drawing, but otherwise has no constraint. The setup is a planar mechanism with two revolute joints and a pin joint at one end to keep the mechanism connected to the wall
pc100

Homework Statement

This is a general situation that I'm trying to figure out. Say there are two massless rods connected with a revolute joint, and one of the rods' other free end is connected to the wall with a free pin joint. There are two point masses in the system (see attachment), so the system is in a double pendulum configuration.

Now a torque τ appears between the rods only. What are the equations describing the motion of the two masses?
There's no gravity (i.e. this is sideways in a plane, for example)

Intuitively both the bottom and top masses will rotate and displace around some pseudo-center-of-mass point (the green dot P?), and with different displacements. I drew this guess onto the figure as well.

Homework Equations

These are not correct:
τ = I(m2 about P)*α(m2)
where I(m2 about P) = m2 * r(b to P)^2
and
τ = I(m1 about P)*α(m1)
where I(m1 about P) = m1 * r(a to P)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that the wall is causing some strange behavior of the system, and I don't know how to approach this in closed form due to the constraint of the wall... Hints?

Attachments

• torqued rods.GIF
    torqued rods.GIF
    20.7 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
How exactly is the constraint at point b (mass m2) defined?

This is a planar mechanism with two revolute joints whose axes are parallel to each other, and perpendicular to the plane defined by the ground and rods. So this rod setup can swing and bend side to side in the plane of the drawing. The constraint in the setup is the pin joint on one end of Rod 1 that keeps the mechanism connected to the wall.
So point b can slide around in the plane of the drawing, but aside from that, it has no constraint. For example, if point 'a' were held in place, then point 'b' would orbit around point 'a' in the plane of the drawing.

1. What is the purpose of using two torqued and hanging constrained rods in an experiment?

The purpose of using two torqued and hanging constrained rods in an experiment is to study the effects of torque and constraint on the behavior of the rods. This setup allows for controlled testing of different variables and can provide insight into the mechanics of materials under different forces.

2. How do you determine the amount of torque to apply to the rods?

The amount of torque applied to the rods can be determined by the equation T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. By varying the force and distance, different levels of torque can be achieved.

3. What type of constraints can be used with the hanging rods?

The rods can be constrained in various ways, such as clamping one end or both ends, or using a fixed support. The type of constraint used will depend on the specific research question and experimental setup.

4. How can the data collected from the experiment with two torqued and hanging constrained rods be analyzed?

The data collected from the experiment can be analyzed using principles of mechanics, such as calculating the stress and strain on the rods, determining the deflection of the rods, and analyzing the behavior of the rods under different levels of torque and constraint. Statistical analysis can also be used to compare and interpret the data.

5. What are some potential applications of the findings from experiments with two torqued and hanging constrained rods?

The findings from these experiments can have various applications in fields such as engineering, material science, and product design. They can help improve the design and performance of structures and materials, as well as inform the development of new materials that can withstand torque and constraints more effectively.