Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Two trains headed toward each other

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As two trains move along a track, their conductors suddenly notice that they are headed toward each other. Figure 2-27
    http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c02/pict_2_27.gif

gives their velocities v as functions of time t as the conductors slow the trains. The figure's vertical scaling is set by vs = 43.0 m/s. The slowing processes begin when the trains are 204 m apart. What is their separation when both trains have stopped?

The attempt at a solution

I tried this problem and got it wrong. I was able to come up with d = 107.5 m for Train 1 but I think I am missing something when I try to calculate d for Train 2.

The part of this question that confuses me the most if when it says "The figure's vertical scaling is set by vs = 43.0 m/s." I think I don't really understand how to read the graph correctly.

Help is appreciated

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok well, if 4 blocks up the side is 43m/s then what are three blocks going to represent for the velocity?

4. Jun 9, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You found the distance traveled by Train 1 before it stops. Do the same thing for Train 2.
    I take that to mean that V_s = 43 m/s--which means that 4 vertical boxes = 43 m/s. So what's the initial velocity of Train 2?

5. Jun 9, 2008 #4
    Well then is this right?

if velocity equals -33 m/s then....

Train 2

Data:
    v = -33 m/s
    v2 = 0 m/s
    t = 4s
    a = ?
    ...then I used this equation....
    v2 = v + a2t
    a2 = (v2 - v) / t

= (0m/s - (-33 m/s)) / 4s

a = 8.25 m/s^2

v2^2 = v^2 + 2ad
    d = (v2^2 - v^2) / 2a

= ((0m/s)2 - (-33 m/s)2) / (2(8.25m/s^2)

= -66m <--distance traveled by train 2

6. Jun 9, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't equal - 33m/s exactly. There are a couple of easier ways to calculate the distance traveled. Firstly one can calculate the area under the curve to the x-axis, or you can use the average speed formula which amounts to the same thing. There's nothing wrong with the method you've used, just a bit long.

7. Jun 9, 2008 #6
    I don't quite get what you are saying by I can use the average speed formula? Isn't that formula S(avg)=(total distance traveled)/(time elapsed)? How does that relate?

8. Jun 9, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No you're right, ignore that its a load of rubbish I was thinking of something else. Any way my main point was 33m/s is not quite the right velocity.

9. Jun 9, 2008 #8
    Ok so if 33 m/s isn't quite right how much is it off by and how else would I do this? I tried getting to the final answer using 33 m/s and my final answer was wrong so I am assuming that 33 m/s is off enough to cause me to get the problem incorrect.

10. Jun 9, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you done to get 33m/s as the speed? Remember that 4 divisions on the y-axis is equivalent to 43m/s. What does that make 1 division equivalent to? So what velocity does 3 divisions correspond to?

11. Jun 9, 2008 #10
    Oh man......now i think i got it! 32.25 m/s ?

12. Jun 9, 2008 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds good.

13. Jun 9, 2008 #12
    If the answer is 32 m

try using areas method as mentioned before..

edit: seems like you are doing something else wrong too.. because there isn't much different between 33 and 32.5 (or maybe ...)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook