Correcting a Common Typo in PR Book | Explaining the Concept of Work

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses a potential typo in a PR book regarding the sign convention for work done by a gas on its surroundings. The conversation also delves into the relationship between heat and internal energy, and how they are not always interchangeable. The first law of thermodynamics is also explained, with the conclusion that for constant volume processes, $\Delta Q = \Delta U = nC_v\Delta T$, and for constant pressure processes, $\Delta Q = nC_p\Delta T = nC_v\Delta T + P\Delta V$. Finally, it is noted that when there is no change in temperature, $\Delta U$ and $Q$ can be equal, but when there is a change in pressure, they can never
AznBoi
Typo in PR book??

Personally I think PR has tons of mistakes. I think I've found one in the book and it confuses me. Can someone see if it is a mistake? Thanks

PR says: "The expanding gas did negative work against its surroundings, pushing the piston upward."

--I think it should be: The expanding gas did positive work against its surroundings, pushing the piston upward. I think the book meant that the surroundings did negative work on the system.

This is a typo right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, can [tex] Q=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] be written as [tex]\Delta U=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex]?? Why or why not?

Likewise, can [tex] \Delta U=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex] be written as [tex] Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]?? Please explain. I thought that Internal energy and heat are different things but they can be used interchangably??

I have two books and they use them interchangably so I don't know which I need to use since they all equal the same amount of joules but they have different variables which are suppoes to be different right?

HyperPhysics also says that [tex]\Delta U= Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]. I'm not sure about C_p though. Thanks for your help!

AznBoi said:
Personally I think PR has tons of mistakes. I think I've found one in the book and it confuses me. Can someone see if it is a mistake? Thanks

PR says: "The expanding gas did negative work against its surroundings, pushing the piston upward."

--I think it should be: The expanding gas did positive work against its surroundings, pushing the piston upward. I think the book meant that the surroundings did negative work on the system.

This is a typo right?
The gas performs positive work on the surroundings. Or you could say that the work done by the surroundings on the gas is negative.

But this is just a convention. 20-30 years ago the convention was that work done on the gas was positive and work done by the gas was negative. So if you have an old book that may be the problem.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
The gas performs positive work on the surroundings. Or you could say that the work done by the surroundings on the gas is negative.

But this is just a convention. 20-30 years ago the convention was that work done on the gas was positive and work done by the gas was negative. So if you have an old book that may be the problem.

AM

Yeah, but the book was using the newer convention earlier. lol, I think the author is getting mixed up. -_- Mabye he was too used to the older convention haha

AznBoi said:
Also, can [tex] Q=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] be written as [tex]\Delta U=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex]?? Why or why not?
No. dQ and dU are the same only if W = 0 (no change in volume).

Likewise, can [tex] \Delta U=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex] be written as [tex] Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]?? Please explain. I thought that Internal energy and heat are different things but they can be used interchangably??
No. Heat flow is equal to change in internal energy + work done by the gas (first law).

I have two books and they use them interchangably so I don't know which I need to use since they all equal the same amount of joules but they have different variables which are suppoes to be different right?

HyperPhysics also says that [tex]\Delta U= Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]. I'm not sure about C_p though. Thanks for your help!
The first law of thermodynamics always applies:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/tex]

where W is the work done by the system

If volume is constant, no work is done (PdV = 0). So, for constant volume
process:
[tex]\Delta U = Q = nC_{V}\Delta T[/tex]

If pressure is constant (volume is not), [itex]d(PV) = PdV + VdP = PdV = d(nRT) = nR\Delta T[/itex]

[tex]\Delta Q = nC_{P}\Delta T = nC_{V}\Delta T + W = nC_{V}\Delta T + P\Delta V = nC_{V}\Delta T + nR\Delta T = n(C_{V} + R)\Delta T[/tex]

So Cp and Cv are always related this way: [itex]C_p - C_v = R[/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
No. dQ and dU are the same only if W = 0 (no change in volume).

No. Heat flow is equal to change in internal energy + work done by the gas (first law).

The first law of thermodynamics always applies:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/tex]

where W is the work done by the system

If volume is constant, no work is done (PdV = 0). So, for constant volume
process:
[tex]\Delta U = Q = nC_{V}\Delta T[/tex]

If pressure is constant (volume is not), [itex]d(PV) = PdV + VdP = PdV = d(nRT) = nR\Delta T[/itex]

[tex]\Delta Q = nC_{P}\Delta T = nC_{V}\Delta T + W = nC_{V}\Delta T + P\Delta V = nC_{V}\Delta T + nR\Delta T = n(C_{V} + R)\Delta T[/tex]

So Cp and Cv are always related this way: [itex]C_p - C_v = R[/itex]

AM

So basically, stating what you've said: [tex] \Delta U=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]
is equal to [tex] Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex] when there's no work done on or by the gas. (when the graph is a vertical line)

However, [tex] Q=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] can never be equal to [tex]\Delta U=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] because work is always done on the system when the pressure remains constant. (horizontal line)

Are these assumptions correctly stated? Thanks for the help! :smile:

Last edited:
AznBoi said:
So basically, stating what you've said: [tex] \Delta U=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex]
is equal to [tex] Q=nC_{v}\Delta T[/tex] when there's no work done on or by the gas. (when the graph is a vertical line)

However, [tex] Q=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] can never be equal to [tex]\Delta U=nC_{p}\Delta T[/tex] because work is always done on the system when the pressure remains constant. (horizontal line)

Are these assumptions correctly stated? Thanks for the help! :smile:
Correct. Except when dT = 0, of course.

AM

Last edited:

1. What is a common typo in PR Book?

A common typo in PR Book is the misspelling of words or incorrect punctuation marks. It can also refer to incorrect grammar usage or formatting errors.

2. How can I correct a typo in PR Book?

To correct a typo in PR Book, you can use editing or proofreading tools such as spell check, grammar check, or manual proofreading. It is also helpful to have someone else review your work for any errors.

3. Why is it important to correct typos in PR Book?

Correcting typos in PR Book is important because it improves the overall quality and credibility of the book. Typos can distract readers and make the content confusing or difficult to understand. It also reflects positively on the author's attention to detail and professionalism.

4. Can typos affect the success of a PR Book?

Yes, typos can affect the success of a PR Book. Readers may lose interest or trust in the content if it is riddled with typos. It can also lead to negative reviews and damage the author's reputation.

5. How can the concept of work be explained in PR Book?

The concept of work in PR Book can be explained as the effort, skills, and actions used to achieve a desired result. It involves strategic thinking, planning, and execution to promote a product, service, or brand to the public. This can include tasks such as creating press releases, organizing events, and managing media relations.