Which Value of x Should be Used for Evaluating Limits in Integral?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral from 0 to -sqrt(2)/2 of arcsin(x)/sqrt(1 - x^2). The solution involved letting u = arcsin(x) and the integral became the integral of u du. There was a question about which value of x to use for the limits of integration and the domain and range of arcsin were discussed. The final result was u^(2)/2 or (arcsin(x))^2/2.
frasifrasi
For the integral from 0 to -sqrt(2)/2
of arcsin(x)/sqrt(1 - x^2)

I let u = arcsin(x) and the integral became the integral of u du.

Now, when I go to evaluate the limits of integration at arcsin(x) ^(2)/2 , there are two possible value of x that will give me the limit of integration in x <= 2pi, which one should I use and did I do anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
rocophysics said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}}\frac{\tan^{-1}x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

correct?

Question, what is the derivative of Arctanx?

No, the question says arcsin. And arcsin(-sqrt(2)/2) is a definite number, even though sin(u)=-sqrt(2)/2 has multiple solutions. The domain of arcsin is [-1,1] and the range is [-pi/2,pi/2].

Last edited:
so, how do i do this? what does the integral evaluate to?

I am getting u^(2)/2...

frasifrasi said:
so, how do i do this? what does the integral evaluate to?

I am getting u^(2)/2...

That's fine, or you can write it as (arcsin(x))^2/2. What's arcsin(-sqrt(2)/2)?

I guess I have to use the negative of pi/4 for the domain...

Last edited:
Dick said:
No, the question says arcsin. And arcsin(-sqrt(2)/2) is a definite number, even though sin(u)=-sqrt(2)/2 has multiple solutions. The domain of arcsin is [-1,1] and the range is [-pi/2,pi/2].
I deleted that post! Can't believe you were able to quote it. I had just finished working out so I wasn't thinking right :p

rocophysics said:
I deleted that post! Can't believe you were able to quote it. I had just finished working out so I wasn't thinking right :p

Guess I pounced too quickly. Sorry.

What is U-substitution in integration?

U-substitution, also known as the substitution rule, is a technique used in integration to simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate. It involves substituting a new variable, usually denoted as u, in place of a complicated expression in the integrand.

How do you perform U-substitution in integration?

To perform U-substitution, follow these steps:

1. Identify a subexpression in the integrand that can be represented as a single variable, usually denoted as u.
  2. Find the derivative of u, du.
  3. Substitute u and du into the integrand, replacing the subexpression with u and any other variables with du.
  4. Solve the resulting integral in terms of u.
  5. Finally, substitute the original subexpression back in for u in the final answer.

Why is U-substitution useful in integration?

U-substitution can make integration easier by simplifying the integrand and reducing it to a basic form that is easier to evaluate. It is especially useful for integrands involving trigonometric functions or complicated algebraic expressions.

What is the role of trigonometric functions in integration?

Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are commonly used in integration to represent the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. They are also used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate using U-substitution or other integration techniques.

How can trigonometric identities be used in integration?

Trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities or double angle formulas, can be used to simplify integrands involving trigonometric functions. They can also be used to rewrite the integrand in a form that is easier to integrate, making the overall integration process more efficient.