U-substitution - prove .

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
In summary, the given integral can be solved using the substitution u = \pi - x to transform it into a simpler integral, which can then be solved using the identity \sin(\pi - x) = \sin x. This leads to the integral \int_0^\pi (\pi - u) f(\sin u) du, where u can be replaced with x to obtain the desired result.
Samuelb88
help with u-substitution - prove...

Homework Statement

Some function f is continuous on [0,Pi]

Prove: [tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\xf(sin x)\,dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\right)\int_0^{\pi}\\f(sinx)dx[/tex]

using the substitution [tex]u=\pi-x[/tex].

Homework Equations

Identities, integral properties.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this two ways, (1) trying to transform the integral on the left ([tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\xf(sin x)\,dx[/tex]) to the one on the right and (2) vice versa.

1) If I am to use the u-sub: [tex]u=\Pi-x[/tex], then:

[tex]du=d(\Pi-x)=-dx[/tex] <==> [tex]-du=dx[/tex]

First, from the identity:

[tex]sin(\Pi-x)=sinx[/tex]

I re-expressed the integral like such:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\(\Pi-x)f(sin(\Pi-x))\,dx[/tex]

Then substituted the quantity u into the integrand:

[tex]-\int_\Pi^{0}\\(u)f(sin(u))\,du[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\int_0^{\Pi}\\(u)f(sin(u))\,du[/tex]

Now here's where I get stuck, after much trial and error, ultimately leading to no where, I've found that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\right)(\frac{F(x^2)}{2}\right)) = xf(x^2)[/tex].

2) From the left side of the statement.

[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\int_0^{\pi}\\f(sinx)dx[/tex]

When I start from the side, it appears as though the quantity [tex]u = \frac{2}{\Pi}\right)x[/tex] and the differential [tex]du=\frac{2}{\Pi}\right)dx[/tex] but then obviously I can't set u=Pi-x.

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Samuelb88 said:

Homework Statement

Some function f is continuous on [0,Pi]

Prove: [tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\xf(sin x)\,dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\right)\int_0^{\pi}\\f(sinx)dx[/tex]

using the substitution [tex]u=\pi-x[/tex].

Homework Equations

Identities, integral properties.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this two ways, (1) trying to transform the integral on the left ([tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\xf(sin x)\,dx[/tex]) to the one on the right and (2) vice versa.

1) If I am to use the u-sub: [tex]u=\Pi-x[/tex], then:

[tex]du=d(\Pi-x)=-dx[/tex] <==> [tex]-du=dx[/tex]

First, from the identity:

[tex]sin(\Pi-x)=sinx[/tex]

I re-expressed the integral like such:

[tex]\int_0^{\pi}\\(\Pi-x)f(sin(\Pi-x))\,dx[/tex]

Then substituted the quantity u into the integrand:

[tex]-\int_\Pi^{0}\\(u)f(sin(u))\,du[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\int_0^{\Pi}\\(u)f(sin(u))\,du[/tex]

I'm not sure what you are doing here. This has taken you right back where you started.

If [itex]u = \pi - x[/itex] then [itex]du = -dx[/itex] as you indicated, so

[tex]\int_0^\pi x f(\sin x) dx = \int_0^\pi (\pi - u) f(\sin(\pi - u)) du =
\int_0^\pi (\pi - u) f(\sin u) du[/tex]

Note that there's nothing special about the letter [itex]u[/itex] on the right hand side. You can just as well replace it with [itex]x[/itex]. If you do that, the answer is actually right in front of your eyes, in a slightly tricky form.

1. What is U-substitution?

U-substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals by substituting a variable, usually denoted as "u", for a more complicated expression within the integral.

2. How do you use U-substitution to prove an integral?

To use U-substitution to prove an integral, you must first identify a suitable substitution by looking for a function within the integral that can be expressed as the derivative of another function. Then, substitute this function with a new variable "u" and rewrite the integral in terms of "u". Finally, solve for "u" and substitute back into the original integral.

3. Why is U-substitution useful?

U-substitution is useful because it allows for the simplification of integrals, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the integration of more complex functions that may not be easily solved using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to U-substitution?

Yes, there are limitations to U-substitution. It can only be used for integrals that can be expressed in terms of a single variable. It also may not work for all integrals, and in some cases, it may not lead to a simpler solution.

5. Can U-substitution be used in all cases?

No, U-substitution cannot be used in all cases. It is most effective when the integral contains a single variable and when the substitution can be easily solved for. In some cases, other methods such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution may be more suitable.