Where Does the Money Really Go in Disaster Relief Efforts?

• Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, a conversation about the effectiveness and use of funds by large organizations such as the Red Cross and UN in disaster areas turns into a discussion about the potential waste and inefficiency of these organizations. One person mentions a private foundation that is creating a film to expose this waste and lack of contribution from these organizations. Others express their interest in watching the film and their personal experiences with volunteering and helping others. The conversation ends with a discussion on the responsibility of donors to research and choose organizations wisely, as well as the potential for individuals within these organizations to be driven by financial motives.
drankin
Where does the money go?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/08/haiti-ruins-relief-workers-live-large-love-boat/

My wife works for a private foundation that does disaster relief. She is in Haiti right now helping out (no, she is not stealing children, LOL). She has been to a few other countries helping in disaster areas.

Her foundation is creating a film that is going to completely expose the waste and inneffectiveness of the Red Cross and the UN in disaster areas where they say they are helping. Her foundation has been to been to all these places helping victims and filming the complete lack of contribution from the Red Cross, UN and other large agencies. If these organizations even show up, their contribution is merely token in order to give the appearance that they were there helping to justify the contributions.

I can't give details because I had to sign a NDA just so my wife could work for the foundation. But, when the film is released I'll be posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
drankin said:
Where does the money go?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/08/haiti-ruins-relief-workers-live-large-love-boat/

My wife works for a private foundation that does disaster relief. She is in Haiti right now helping out (no, she is not stealing children, LOL). She has been to a few other countries helping in disaster areas.

Her foundation is creating a film that is going to completely expose the waste and inneffectiveness of the Red Cross and the UN in disaster areas where they say they are helping. Her foundation has been to been to all these places helping victims and filming the complete lack of contribution from the Red Cross, UN and other large agencies. If these organizations even show up, their contribution is merely token in order to give the appearance that they were there helping to justify the contributions.

I can't give details because I had to sign a NDA just so my wife could work for the foundation. But, when the film is released I'll be posting.

You know, I've always wondered this exact thing. It's impossible to definitively know through research though unless you work for the agency itself. Then when people do come out and talk about the inefficiency of these organizations and wastefull use of funds, they (the organizations) always come back. So it's 'their word over ours' scenario and I'd hate to go against an entire organization that claims to do very good things in the world based on what some 'ex-employees' are saying. So it's tough to understand what goes on exactly :tongue:

I'd definitely be interested in watching this film though. I one time went to Costa Rica as a volunteer, I had wanted to go to Ghana but I lacked the necessary experience to do the jobs required in Ghana. It was a pretty good overall experience, I love helping other people and I'd hate to find out that organizations have wastefull practices.

Much respect for your wife and her work though, I hope some day I get to go and help out some more :smile:

It is disturbing to know that how different organizations try to defame each other. First there was a hype about donating to big organizations like UN to help poor world but now it is turning to that all big organizations are capitalists/ineffective, we should be donating to smaller organizations.

rootX said:
It is disturbing to know that how different organizations try to defame each other. First there was a hype about donating to big organizations like UN to help poor world but now it is turning to that all big organizations are capitalists/ineffective, we should be donating to smaller organizations.

When you see billions of dollars go to the Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/corppubs/ARC_990_2009.pdf"

and they pass out plastic bag material for victims to shelter their families, something is messed up.

drankin said:
When you see billions of dollars go to the Red Cross:

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/pdf/corppubs/ARC_990_2009.pdf"

and they pass out plastic bag material for victims to shelter their families, something is messed up.

But I disagree that there is something like pure humanitarian organization. In the end everyone likes $$$.

I would blame people who donate blindly rather than organizations who take advantage of that.

rootX said:
But I disagree that there is something like pure humanitarian organization. In the end everyone likes $$$.
Maybe not an entire organization. There certainly are people though. I like to think that I could travel and help people around the world in unfortunate situation and that I wouldn't take any money, if any, that was donated... Who knows though maybe once I had my hands on the millions-billions of $$$ these organizations had I would convince myself that for all my hardwork that Ferrari is a good treat.

I would blame people who donate blindly rather than organizations who take advantage of that.

I agree with this statement but I'm not sure if it's very fair. It's extremely difficult to know what type of organization you are donating to. You just assume that they are honest people doing honest work in the world. Like if I went door-to-door with a unicef box and collected say 1000$ but I kept it all, you would rather blame the people who donated to me?

What are the common misconceptions about where disaster relief funds go?

One common misconception is that a large portion of the funds go towards administrative costs and salaries. However, the reality is that most reputable disaster relief organizations have low overhead costs and prioritize using the majority of funds for direct aid and services.

Another misconception is that all disaster relief funds are donated by individuals or organizations. In reality, governments and international aid agencies also contribute significant amounts of funding.

There is also a belief that disaster relief funds are misused or wasted. While there have been cases of fraud and mismanagement, reputable organizations have strict accountability measures in place to ensure funds are used appropriately.

How do disaster relief organizations determine how to allocate funds?

Disaster relief organizations typically use a needs assessment process to determine how to allocate funds. This involves evaluating the severity of the disaster, the specific needs of the affected population, and the available resources. They also consider input from local communities and partner organizations to ensure the most effective use of funds.

What are some examples of how disaster relief funds are used?

Disaster relief funds are used for a variety of purposes, including providing emergency shelter, food and water, medical aid, and other basic needs. They may also be used for longer-term recovery efforts, such as rebuilding homes and infrastructure, providing psychological support, and supporting livelihoods.

How can donors ensure their funds are being used effectively?

Donors can research and donate to reputable and transparent organizations that have a track record of effectively using funds for disaster relief efforts. They can also request information from organizations on how their funds will be used and how they measure impact. Additionally, donors can look for organizations that have an independent third party audit their financial statements.

What can be done to improve the effectiveness and transparency of disaster relief funds?

Disaster relief organizations can improve their effectiveness and transparency by regularly communicating with donors and the public about how funds are being used and the impact they are having. They can also engage in partnerships and collaborations with other organizations to ensure resources are used efficiently. Governments and international aid agencies can also improve transparency by publicly reporting on their contributions to disaster relief efforts.