Uncertainty in Wavelength Calculation from Wave Crests on a Pier

In summary: So the wavelength must be 1.33m.Do you think that's correct then? The wavelength must be exactly ##20m/15##? Leaving asside the HUP.
Ryan Hardt

Homework Statement

Standing in the middle of a 20 m long pier, you notice that at any given instant there are 15 wave crests between the two ends of the pier. Estimate the minimum uncertainty in the wavelength that could be computed from this information.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Uncertainty Principles
ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2
ΔEΔt ≥ ħ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to use the equation to solve the problem. I am given no info on momentum or its uncertainty, and therefore cannot get any relation between the two. Perhaps I am not using the right equations? Any guidance twoards getting the right tools/solving it would be great as there are multiple problems of his ype that I am stuck on, I am fine with doing work myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan Hardt said:

Homework Statement

Standing in the middle of a 20 m long pier, you notice that at any given instant there are 15 wave crests between the two ends of the pier. Estimate the minimum uncertainty in the wavelength that could be computed from this information.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Uncertainty Principles
ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2
ΔEΔt ≥ ħ/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to use the equation to solve the problem. I am given no info on momentum or its uncertainty, and therefore cannot get any relation between the two. Perhaps I am not using the right equations? Any guidance twoards getting the right tools/solving it would be great as there are multiple problems of his ype that I am stuck on, I am fine with doing work myself.

Are you sure this is Quantum Mechanics?

PeroK said:
Are you sure this is Quantum Mechanics?
Yes, introduction to quantum. Maybe the problem is being overly simple on purpose (expecting the answer in terms of variables) as I'm quite confused.

Another example:

"The frequency of the alternating voltage produced at electrical generating stations is carefully maintained at 60.000 Hz. How often can the frequency be measured if the reading is to be accurate within 0.010 Hz?"
Perhaps this is a better example.

Ryan Hardt said:
Yes, introduction to quantum. Maybe the problem is being overly simple on purpose (expecting the answer in terms of variables) as I'm quite confused.

Another example:

"The frequency of the alternating voltage produced at electrical generating stations is carefully maintained at 60.000 Hz. How often can the frequency be measured if the reading is to be accurate within 0.010 Hz?"
Perhaps this is a better example.

Let's stick to the first problem Suppose you were sitting at the seaside and someone said:

That pier is ##20m## long and I can see ##15## wavecrests between the ends, so the wavelength must be ##1.33m##. What would you think?

PeroK said:
Let's stick to the first problem Suppose you were sitting at the seaside and someone said:

That pier is ##20m## long and I can see ##15## wavecrests between the ends, so the wavelength must be ##1.33m##. What would you think?
Sure I can get a value for the wavelength, but that doesn't really tell me anything about its uncertainty, correct? As its minimum would only change depending on the uncertainty of another measurement with a set ratio related to ħ/2.My attempt at deriving the equation for wavelength uncertainty:

if Δp = h/Δλ

then ΔxΔp ≤ ħ/2

(hΔx)/(ħ/2) ≤ Δλ

4πΔx ≤ Δλ

But this doesn't seem useful as I don't have any info on positional uncertainty.

Ryan Hardt said:
Sure I can get a value for the wavelength, but that doesn't really tell me anything about its uncertainty, correct? As its minimum would only change depending on the uncertainty of another measurement with a set ratio related to ħ/2.

Do you think that's correct then? The wavelength must be exactly ##20m/15##? Leaving asside the HUP.

You can't see any flaw in that calculation?

Likes Jamison Lahman
Perhaps try thinking about it like this: What is the largest wavelength you can have with 15 waves in a 20m pier? What is the shortest?

What is the Uncertainty Principle Problem?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem refers to a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle was first proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and has since become a cornerstone of modern physics.

Why is the Uncertainty Principle Problem important?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem is important because it fundamentally challenges our understanding of the physical world. It suggests that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This principle has also led to many important advances in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

How does the Uncertainty Principle Problem relate to other principles in physics?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem is closely related to other principles in physics, such as the Principle of Complementarity and the Wave-Particle Duality. These principles all help to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level and have been essential in the development of modern physics theories.

What are the practical implications of the Uncertainty Principle Problem?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem has many practical implications, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It has been used to explain phenomena such as quantum tunneling and has also led to the development of new technologies, such as electron microscopes. Additionally, the principle has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the limits of human knowledge.

Is the Uncertainty Principle Problem universally accepted?

While the Uncertainty Principle Problem is widely accepted among scientists, there have been some debates and criticisms about its implications and interpretation. Some physicists have proposed alternative theories that attempt to reconcile the principle with other principles in physics. However, the majority of the scientific community considers the Uncertainty Principle Problem to be a fundamental and accurate principle in quantum mechanics.