Undefined angles for Compton scattering

In summary, the values for θ and ψ that are not defined for Compton scattering are θ = π/2, θ = π, and ψ = 0. Backscattering does occur in practice, but it is not accounted for in the mathematical equations used for Compton scattering. Therefore, the values for θ and ψ are also not defined for backscattering.
doctorado

Homework Statement

Hello, I need to find which values for θ and ψ are not defined for the Compton scattering. Where θ is the angle of the electron and ψ is the angle for the photon.

Homework Equations

I have attached the formulas I´m using.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v4z2qf&s=5

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me ψ≠0 , since the photon´s angle would not be modified and therefore there would be no scattering.
I have also done some graphs using Matlab and they show that θ ≠ ∏/2 and θ≠∏.
I´m using radians.
I have determined algebraically that tan(ψ/2)= sen (ψ/2)/cos(ψ/2). Therefore cos(ψ/2)≠0.
ψ/2≠ ∏/2. So ψ≠∏. However I have heard about "backscattering" happening in the practice, so I´m a bit confused since the math shows it is not possible but yet it is.

P.D. English is not my mother language so I apologize for any grammar or any other kind of mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can confirm that your findings are correct. The values for θ and ψ that are not defined for Compton scattering are:

1. θ = π/2 and θ = π: These angles correspond to the electron being scattered at a right angle, which is not possible in Compton scattering.

2. ψ = 0: This angle corresponds to the photon not being scattered at all, which means there is no Compton scattering occurring.

In terms of backscattering, this phenomenon does occur in practice but it is important to note that it is not a result of the mathematical equations being incorrect. Backscattering happens when the photon and electron have a head-on collision, which is not accounted for in the mathematical equations used for Compton scattering. Therefore, we can say that the values for θ and ψ are not defined for backscattering as well.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is an undefined angle in Compton scattering?

An undefined angle in Compton scattering refers to the angle at which the scattered photon is detected. This angle cannot be precisely measured due to the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of the scattered photon.

2. Why are undefined angles important in Compton scattering experiments?

Undefined angles play a crucial role in Compton scattering experiments as they provide information about the energy and momentum of the incident photon and the electron it interacts with. This helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

3. How are undefined angles calculated in Compton scattering?

Undefined angles are calculated using the Compton scattering formula, which takes into account the energy and momentum of the incident photon and the scattered photon. This formula allows scientists to determine the approximate angle at which the scattered photon is detected.

4. Can undefined angles ever be precisely measured in Compton scattering?

No, undefined angles cannot be precisely measured in Compton scattering due to the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of the scattered photon. However, scientists can use statistical methods to determine the most likely range of possible angles for the scattered photon based on multiple measurements.

5. What other factors can affect the measurement of undefined angles in Compton scattering?

The measurement of undefined angles in Compton scattering can be affected by various factors such as the energy and momentum of the incident photon, the type of material the photon interacts with, and the detection equipment used. These factors can introduce errors and uncertainties in the measurement of the undefined angle.