Understand Tensors: Difference from Matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tensors, particularly in relation to matrices and their use in physics. The conversation provides resources for further understanding, including Sean Carroll's lecture notes and a "no-nonsense introduction". The importance of vector spaces and dual vector spaces is also mentioned.
Silviu
Hello! I am not really sure I understand the idea of tensors and the difference between them and normal matrices, for example (for rank 2 tensors). Can someone explain this to me, or give me a good resource for this? I don't want a complete introduction to GR math, I just want to understand the idea of tensors for now. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's also the web version of Carroll's material, starting here: https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/
OP may find that the "no-nonsense introduction" better meets their needs, but should be warned that some corners are being cut there.

1. What are tensors and how do they differ from matrices?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationships between vectors and scalars. They are multi-dimensional arrays that can store and manipulate data in higher dimensions. Unlike matrices, which are limited to two dimensions, tensors can have any number of dimensions.

2. What are some common applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and machine learning. They are used to represent physical quantities like stress and strain in mechanics, and to model complex systems in data analysis and artificial intelligence.

3. How are tensors represented and manipulated?

Tensors are typically represented using arrays or matrices, with the number of dimensions corresponding to the order of the tensor. They can be manipulated using mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and contraction, which involves summing over repeated indices in the tensor.

4. Can tensors be converted into matrices?

Yes, tensors can be converted into matrices by flattening the tensor into a vector and then reshaping it into a matrix. However, this process may result in loss of information, as tensors can contain more dimensions and information than matrices.

5. How important are tensors in modern science and technology?

Tensors play a crucial role in modern science and technology, particularly in areas such as physics, engineering, and machine learning. They allow for the representation and manipulation of complex data and systems, making them essential tools for understanding and solving real-world problems.