Understanding Direct Products of Vector Spaces: Cooperstein's Example 1.17

In summary: Cartesian product of the two sets, we get a space isomorphic to $F[x]$.The easy way to do this is to use the distributive law:$(a_0,a_1,a_2,\dots,a_n) = (a_0*a_1,a_0*a_2,\dots,a_n*a_n)$so we have:$F[x] = \Pi_{n \in \Bbb N} \Bbb R^n$ (the direct product of the two sets is isomorphic to $F[x]$).
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Bruce Cooperstein's book: Advanced Linear Algebra, he gives the following example on page 12 in his chapter on vector spaces (Chapter 1) ... ...View attachment 4886I am finding it difficult to fully understand this example ... ...

Can someone give an example using Cooperstein's construction ... using, for clarity, his notation ... ?

If we take \(\displaystyle I = \{ 1, 2, \ ... \ ... \ , n \}\) ... ... then I am used to thinking that the direct product of vector spaces \(\displaystyle U_1, U_2, \ ... \ ... \ U_n\) is the set of all n-tuples \(\displaystyle ( u_1, u_2, \ ... \ ... \ u_n )\) with addition and scalar multiplication defined componentwise ... ...

BUT ... how do we square this with Cooperstein's definition/construction of the direct product of a set of vector spaces ... ...

Hope someone can help clarify the above issues ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an $n$-tuple in $\Bbb R^n$, say $u = (x_1,\dots,x_n)$.

We can regard this as a function $f:\{1,\dots,n\}\to \Bbb R$, namely, the function given by:

$f(i) = x_i$.

So, in Cooperstein's notation, if we call the set $\{1,\dots,n\}$ say, $I$, we have:

$\Bbb R^n = \Pi_{i \in I}\ \Bbb R = \Bbb R\oplus \cdots \oplus \Bbb R$ (an $n$-fold direct product).

If we have $v = (y_1,\dots,y_n)$, we can similarly define $v$ as the function $g:I \to \Bbb R$ given by:

$g(i) = y_i$.

Normally, we think of $u+v$ as being defined as "component-wise" addition, that is:

$u + v = (x_1 + y_1,\dots,x_n + y_n)$.

If we define $f+g$ by $(f+g)(i) = f(i) + g(i)$ as Cooperstein does, we get that $f+g$ maps $i$ to $x_i + y_i$. So it accomplishes the same thing.

The advantage to Cooperstein's definition, is that if $I$ is not a FINITE set, we can still define the direct product of a number of spaces corresponding to the infinite number of things in $I$ ($I$ is called the *indexing* set).

Convince yourself that if $I = \Bbb N$, and $U_i = F$ for all $i \in I$, that the resulting space we get is isomorphic as a $F$-vector space to $F[x]$. It is common to refer to the image $f(i)$ as the "$i$-th coordinate" of a vector when all the $U_i$ coincide with the underlying field, and as the "$i$-th component" when the $U_i$ are subspaces of the product.

Deveno said:
Consider an $n$-tuple in $\Bbb R^n$, say $u = (x_1,\dots,x_n)$.

We can regard this as a function $f:\{1,\dots,n\}\to \Bbb R$, namely, the function given by:

$f(i) = x_i$.

So, in Cooperstein's notation, if we call the set $\{1,\dots,n\}$ say, $I$, we have:

$\Bbb R^n = \Pi_{i \in I}\ \Bbb R = \Bbb R\oplus \cdots \oplus \Bbb R$ (an $n$-fold direct product).

If we have $v = (y_1,\dots,y_n)$, we can similarly define $v$ as the function $g:I \to \Bbb R$ given by:

$g(i) = y_i$.

Normally, we think of $u+v$ as being defined as "component-wise" addition, that is:

$u + v = (x_1 + y_1,\dots,x_n + y_n)$.

If we define $f+g$ by $(f+g)(i) = f(i) + g(i)$ as Cooperstein does, we get that $f+g$ maps $i$ to $x_i + y_i$. So it accomplishes the same thing.

The advantage to Cooperstein's definition, is that if $I$ is not a FINITE set, we can still define the direct product of a number of spaces corresponding to the infinite number of things in $I$ ($I$ is called the *indexing* set).

Convince yourself that if $I = \Bbb N$, and $U_i = F$ for all $i \in I$, that the resulting space we get is isomorphic as a $F$-vector space to $F[x]$. It is common to refer to the image $f(i)$ as the "$i$-th coordinate" of a vector when all the $U_i$ coincide with the underlying field, and as the "$i$-th component" when the $U_i$ are subspaces of the product.

Hi Deveno ... thanks for the help ...

Until I received your post I was having real trouble seeing how a function \(\displaystyle f\) was identical to (or could be equivalent to) an \(\displaystyle n\)-tuple or an indexed set of values ... then after reading through your post I realized that the set of function values, \(\displaystyle f(i)\) is, of course, indexed by the set \(\displaystyle I\) in the same way as an \(\displaystyle n\)-tuple ... and so the function \(\displaystyle f\) gives essentially the same information as an \(\displaystyle n\)-tuple ...Just a further question, however ... ... ... you wrote:

"Convince yourself that if $I = \Bbb N$, and $U_i = F$ for all $i \in I$, that the resulting space we get is isomorphic as a $F$-vector space to $F[x]$. ... ... "

I am having trouble seeing this ... can you help further ... it looks a really interesting point ...

Hope you can help ...

Peter

To any polynomial $f(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \cdots + a_nx^n$ we can assign the $n$-tuple:

$(a_0,a_1,a_2,\dots,a_n)$ (our indexing set is infinite, because $n$ might be arbitrarily large).

Your job is to show that if we call this $n$-tuple $[f]$, that the mapping:

$f(x) \mapsto [f]$ is $F$-linear.

Deveno said:
To any polynomial $f(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \cdots + a_nx^n$ we can assign the $n$-tuple:

$(a_0,a_1,a_2,\dots,a_n)$ (our indexing set is infinite, because $n$ might be arbitrarily large).

Your job is to show that if we call this $n$-tuple $[f]$, that the mapping:

$f(x) \mapsto [f]$ is $F$-linear.
Thanks Deveno ...

Can you clarify exactly what is meant by F-linear ...

Peter

By definition an $F$-linear map is an $F$-module homomorphism, in other words it preserves the module addition, and the action of $F$ upon the underlying $F$-module $V$. This is often written:

$T(\alpha u + \beta v) = \alpha T(u) + \beta T(v)$.

For example, on the vector space of real polynomials, $\Bbb R[x]$, the map $D$ given by $D(f(x)) = f'(x)$

(here $f'(x)$ is the *formal derivative of $f$*, if:
$f(x) = a_0 + a_1x +\cdots + a_nx^n$, then $f'(x) = a_1 + 2a_2x +\cdots + na_nx^{n-1}$)

is a $\Bbb R$-linear map, since:

$D(f(x) + g(x)) = (f+g)'(x) = f'(x) + g'(x) = D(f(x)) + D(g(x))$

and:

$D(\alpha f(x)) = (\alpha f)'(x) = \alpha(f'(x)) = \alpha D(f(x))$.

What is a direct product of vector spaces?

A direct product of vector spaces is a mathematical construction that combines two or more vector spaces into a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and has a set of properties that make it useful for studying and analyzing vector spaces.

What is Cooperstein's Example 1.17?

Cooperstein's Example 1.17 is a specific example used to illustrate the concept of direct products of vector spaces. It involves two vector spaces, V and W, and shows how their direct product V ⊗ W is constructed and how it can be used to calculate the dimension of the resulting vector space.

Why is understanding direct products of vector spaces important?

Understanding direct products of vector spaces is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate multiple vector spaces at once. This is particularly useful in linear algebra, where vector spaces are studied extensively. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics and physics.

What are the properties of direct products of vector spaces?

Some key properties of direct products of vector spaces include distributivity, associativity, and commutativity. These properties allow for operations on direct products to be simplified and make it easier to perform calculations and proofs involving direct products.

How can direct products of vector spaces be used in real-world applications?

Direct products of vector spaces have many practical applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to model and analyze physical systems, design efficient algorithms, and represent data in a structured and organized manner.