Understanding Electric Potential and Work Done by Electrostatic Force

In summary, the work done by an electrostatic force is given by the equation W = Fdcosθ (scalar product) or W = qEdcosθ. The electric potential is V = -W/q, where the work done is by the electrostatic force. In this case, the work done is always positive whether it is attraction or repulsion, as long as the displacement is in the direction of the force. The equation V = -W/q may be used specifically for an electron with negative charge, using q to represent the absolute value of the charge, or for work done by the system on the electromagnetic field. The sign of V (- or +) indicates the charge of the particle being affected by the electrostatic force.
Boody

Homework Statement

I know that the work done by an electrostatic force is given by :

W = Fdcosθ (scalar product)
W = qE d cosθ

and I know that the electric potential is V = -W/q ,
where the work here is the work done by the electrostatic force.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have found that the work done by the electrostatic force is positive ,whether it is attraction or repulsion ( of course when the displacement is with the direction of the force)
(to see that apply the work equation to a positive charge +q and negative charge -q)

with that result ( when electrostatic force acts alone , the work done is +ve whether attraction or repulsion) ,

we (or I ) see that V = -W/q is negative when q is positive and positive when q is negative

why is that ?
and , how to interpret that (V is -ve for +ve charge , V is +ve for -ve charge) ?
I am looking for a conceptual answer , I do not need so much mathematical explanation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if a charged particle moves in the direction of the electrostatic force on it, then the work done by the electrostatic force on the charged particle is positive.

I'm not sure about V=-W/q ... I use V=W/q ... maybe your teacher was explaining specifically about an electron, which has negative charge, and using q to mean the absolute value of the electron's charge? Or maybe he was using W to mean work done by the system on the electromagnetic field?

Related to Understanding Electric Potential and Work Done by Electrostatic Force

1. What does the voltage sign represent?

The voltage sign, typically denoted as "V" or "U", represents the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is a measurement of the force that pushes electrical current through a circuit.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in units of volts (V). It can also be expressed in other units such as millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV).

3. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage is the force that drives current through a circuit, while current is the actual flow of electrons in a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts, while current is measured in units of amperes (A).

4. Can the voltage sign be negative?

Yes, the voltage sign can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electrical potential difference is opposite to the direction of electron flow. This occurs when the positive and negative terminals of a battery or power source are reversed.

5. How does voltage affect the operation of electronic devices?

Voltage is crucial for the operation of electronic devices, as it provides the necessary energy for them to function. The amount of voltage needed for a device depends on its design and components. Too little voltage may result in a device not functioning properly, while too much voltage can damage or even destroy a device.