Understanding Gauss' Law and E Fields in Flux Calculations

In summary, Gauss's Law states that the flux through a surface, incident on an object, is equal to the product of the E field and the surface area of the object. This law is often used to calculate the flux of fields through surfaces.
EV33

Homework Statement

I actually just have two questions about the law itself.

1.) Is Gauss's Law just the projection of a shape onto a perpindicular surface to the E field,times the E field?

I ask this because there is an example in my book which shows a 3D incline with a horizontal E field, and the flux through the vertical is the same has the flux through the hypotenuse side of the incline. The only difference is that one is EA and the other is E*A*cos(theta).

So under my assumption on flux if there is a horizontal e field, and a half sphere with its flat side perpindicular to the e field, I would assume that the flux would be the same through both the flat and round side.

2.) My question for this one involves E fields involving infinite large planes. If you calculate the e field involving a plane you can do it with the equation
E=sigma/2 epsilon nat, but my question about this is, where does that calculate the E field at. My assumption is that it calculates the E field right at the surface. If this is so and I wanted to find the E field some x distance away, would I just put that E value over X^2, to get the E value at X distance away?

Homework Equations

flux=E(dot)A
Flux=Q enclosed/epsilon nat
E=sigma/2 epsilon nat

The Attempt at a Solution

1.)Well I figured for the half circle that both sides would have to have equal but opposite flux's because if q inside is zero then the net flux for the object needs to be zero, so the neg flux needs to cancel out the pos flux for the other side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope this helps. Remember: scalar fields don't ALWAYS obey! But that's the way to bet.

Related to Understanding Gauss' Law and E Fields in Flux Calculations

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the total charge enclosed by that surface. It is a mathematical representation of one of Maxwell's equations and is used to calculate the electric field in a given region.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a vector field that describes the magnitude and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in that region. It is created by electric charges and can be calculated using Gauss' Law.

How is Gauss' Law used to calculate electric fields?

Gauss' Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. By using this equation and knowing the charge distribution within a given region, we can calculate the electric field at any point within that region.

What is the significance of Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is significant because it is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric fields. It is used in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in various environments.

Can Gauss' Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any charge distribution, as long as the electric field is radially symmetric. This means that the electric field must have the same magnitude and direction at all points on a spherical surface surrounding the charge distribution.