1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding how to re-draw circuits

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find I1,I2,I3,Va,Vb but i dont even know to read the circuit. i know how to to do series circuits and parallel circuits but not this. How do i read this circuit and know which ones are in parallel or in series. is there a way to re-draw it? I have the solution and answer. Therefore i dont need the step by step solution since i already have it,is just that it doesnt explain why they did it that why.
    These are the I1=4A ,I2=1.33, I3=.67, I4=2.67,va=8.0,and vb i dont know.
    Please help understanding what is going on in this circuit.
    7.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If you need a loop, put in a 20 V battery with the positive plate connected to E. Connect the negative plate of the battery to the 3 grounds at the bottom of the diagram.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would work my way up from the bottom, simplifying bits and pieces as I go. R5 and R3 are in parallel, right? So you could combine those two resistors into a single resistance. Keep chipping away at it until you have a single loop.

5. Dec 15, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

If you combine circuit elements you will lose that components individual voltage and/or current.

I reccoend doing a KCL at Va and Va. Then solve for Va and Vb, and the currents will be easy to find.

6. Dec 15, 2014 #5
    thanks for the tip

7. Dec 15, 2014 #6
    if i do ((R5||R3)+R2)||R4 and this would be in series with R1 right? now to get Vb i think i would do Vb=R5(I2-I3) but what if that R5 was not there then how would i solve for vb

8. Dec 15, 2014 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

If R5 was not there then I2 and I3 would change. you cannot solve for an unknown value with unknown values

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted