Understanding Ideal Gas Equation in Arbitrarily Shaped Containers

• I
  • Thread starter person_random_normal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General Proof
In summary, the ideal gas equation can be derived for a gas inside an arbitrarily shaped container by assuming an imaginary cube-shaped container and justifying the existence of imaginary boundaries due to intermolecular collisions. Another approach is to consider the impact of molecules on a small patch of container wall and use the volume of the container to determine the equation of state.
person_random_normal
While deriving ideal gas equation - we take gas molecules to be contained in a cubical container (convinent shape) , but how do we derive it for a gas inside some arbitarily shaped container ?
i think this has 2 answers
1) Using maths - but it will be mostly impossible
2) or it will be a therotical proof (this is what i am interested to know)

i could think of the ''therotical'' proof - Check it wheather its right

inside an arbitarily shaped container we can assume an imaginary cube shaped container (with imaginary boundaries , of course ! )
and i think that, the existence of those imaginary boundaries can be justified owing to large number of intermolecular collisions , in sense - the place where we have assumed the imaginary boundaries of the cube-shaped container , right there the randomly moving molecules are colliding so fast and so much that , resultantly we can assume a wall existing right there.

And hence again do the same cubical container proofSo is this right ?

And some other ideas of anybody ?

Physics news on Phys.org
??

Interesting question, Shreyas.

Here are a couple of ways of looking at it:

1.We know from Newton that the centre of mass of the container and gas within it cannot change due to the thermal motion of the gas molecules. So for collisions with the walls of whatever shape, total components of momentum of all molecules before and after all impacts must average out to be zero, regardless of the container shape. Otherwise, the centre of mass would move. So the sum of all changes in momentum must be 0. And since there is not even a detectible jiggle of the container, all collisions must be completely random over very small periods of time.

So we assume that the direction of motion of gas molecules relative to the container walls is completely random. If it is always completely random, can you make it more random by arbitrarily changing the shape of the container walls?

I would say not. To find pressure, we are concerned only with the average change of momentum of a molecule on impact with the wall and that change is necessarily in the direction perpendicular to the plane that is tangent to the container wall at the point of impact. Since direction of a molecule before impact is completely random, if we make the angle of impact with the container wall at any point completely random, we will still end up with completely random collisions between the molecules and the container wall.

2. Once you prove that PV=nRT using the flat sided container one can see that it is the volume, not the shape of the container walls, that determines the equation of state.

AM

The approach I prefer is to consider the impact of molecules on a small patch (area A) of container wall. The container can be any shape you like. Let the outward normal to this patch be in the x direction. Then the molecules with velocity components u1, v1, w1 (say) that will hit A in time Delta t will be contained in an oblique cylinder of 'height' u1Delta t and 'base' area A, so if there are N1 molecules of this species in the container of volume V, there will be (N1/V)A u1Delta t molecules in the cylinder and the total x-momentum they bring up to the wall in time Delta t will be (N1/V)A mu12Delta t. It's not too difficult to proceed from there in the usual way. I found this derivation in a forgotten classic The Kinetic Theory of Gases by Sir James Jeans.

Last edited:

What is the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a container. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

How does the ideal gas equation apply to arbitrarily shaped containers?

The ideal gas equation can be applied to any arbitrarily shaped container, as long as the container is sealed and the gas inside is at a constant temperature. This is because the equation is based on the fundamental principles of gas behavior, which do not depend on the shape of the container.

What factors affect the accuracy of the ideal gas equation in arbitrarily shaped containers?

The accuracy of the ideal gas equation in arbitrarily shaped containers can be affected by factors such as the presence of non-ideal gases, temperature variations within the container, and the presence of intermolecular forces between gas molecules.

How can the ideal gas equation be used to predict the behavior of gases in real-world scenarios?

The ideal gas equation can be used to predict the behavior of gases in real-world scenarios by allowing scientists to calculate the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a given system. This information can then be used to make predictions about how the gas will behave under different conditions.

What are the limitations of the ideal gas equation in arbitrarily shaped containers?

The ideal gas equation has limitations in arbitrarily shaped containers because it assumes that gases are perfectly ideal, meaning they have no volume and do not interact with each other. In real-world scenarios, this is not always the case, so the ideal gas equation may not accurately predict the behavior of gases in all situations.