Understanding Intensity and Energy Relationships

In summary, doubling the frequency of photons increases their energy by a factor of four. This increase in intensity is due to the fact that each photon has twice as much energy.
zmike
This is a sentence in my textbook:
"
E=hf

Do not be misled by this equation: This equation gives the energy per photon. It turns out that if we double the fequency, we also double the number of photons increasing the intensity by a factor of four as expected.
"

I do not understand this last sentence. Is there some sort of equation relating intensity to energy because I thought intensity was just the number of photons :S

Anyone want to help?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
intensity is also power per unit area... in this case a more energetic photon, is a more intense photon.

is there a formula? how did they get 4x more intense??

The book isn't making too much sense. The intensity is Power/Area. The energy of a photon is E=hf. The power would be hf/tA With t being the time interval and A being the area we're looking for the intensity at. What subject is the book talking about? As far as I can tell, some variable doubling increases simultaneously the intensity and energy of the individual photons. Maybe you're talking about blackbody radiation and Wien's displacement? Although with the T^4 temperature dependence of what I'm thinking could be what you're talking about, that sentence still wouldn't make sense...

zmike said:
This is a sentence in my textbook:
"
E=hf

Do not be misled by this equation: This equation gives the energy per photon. It turns out that if we double the fequency, we also double the number of photons increasing the intensity by a factor of four as expected.
"
As a stand alone statement, it doesn't make sense. But what is the context? What textbook is it from and what is being discussed?

Doc Al said:
As a stand alone statement, it doesn't make sense. But what is the context? What textbook is it from and what is being discussed?

This is from a MCAT prep book, in the Chem>atomic structure>photoelectric effect section.

Last edited:
My take on it is this:

If you double frequency, you DOUBLE the number of photons passing a given point per second.

According to E=hf, you ALSO DOUBLE the energy of each individual photon.

2x energy per photon, and 2x amount of photons gives 4x total energy.

tyco05 said:
My take on it is this:

If you double frequency, you DOUBLE the number of photons passing a given point per second.
Doubling the frequency doesn't change the number of photons.

My bad.

As written above the statement isn't sensible, however, perhaps someone made a typo and meant to write the following, which would make sense: If you do two separate things, if you double the number of photons emitted per second, and if you also double the frequency so that each photon will have twice as much energy, then you will have four times the intensity.

mikelepore said:
however, perhaps someone made a typo and meant to write the following...
I'm thinking the same thing. Just changing a few words would turn the sentence into something sensible. That's why I wanted the exact reference.

Related to Understanding Intensity and Energy Relationships

1. What is intensity and how is it related to energy?

Intensity refers to the amount of energy per unit area per unit time. In other words, it measures how concentrated the energy is in a given space. The relationship between intensity and energy is directly proportional - as intensity increases, so does the amount of energy.

2. How is intensity measured?

Intensity is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or joules per second per square meter (J/s/m²). These units represent the amount of energy per unit area per unit time.

3. What factors affect intensity and energy relationships?

There are several factors that can affect intensity and energy relationships. These include distance, surface area, and source power. As distance from the source increases, intensity and energy decrease. Similarly, as surface area increases, intensity and energy decrease. Finally, as source power increases, intensity and energy increase.

4. How does understanding intensity and energy relationships impact scientific research?

Understanding intensity and energy relationships is crucial in many areas of scientific research. It allows scientists to accurately measure and compare energy levels, which is important in fields such as optics, acoustics, and environmental science. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light, sound, and other forms of energy in different environments.

5. Can intensity and energy be converted into each other?

No, intensity and energy are two different concepts and cannot be directly converted into each other. However, they are closely related and changes in one can impact the other. For example, increasing the intensity of a light source will also increase the amount of energy being emitted.