Understanding ISSS from Minkowski Space to Poincaré Group

In summary, the intrinsic spin symmetry of spacetime is established through the quantization of orbital angular momentum, and is also related to the Poincare group and the CPT symmetry.
AlephClo
I try to understand where the intrinsic spin symmetry of spacetime (ISSS) is established. I read articles but still do not understand how to put together all the information to make a clear picture of where ISSS comes from.
Minkowski space - Lorentz group O(1,3) - Covering SO(1,3) with SL(2)c - Homomorphism of SL(2)c and SO(1,3), Lie Algebra so(1,3), construction of representations of sl(2)c and SO(1,3), Poincaré group and the classification of the representations, relationship to Noether theorem.

Any references and ⁄ or that would give me a explanations of why all these steps and what they each mean, and give me physical interpretations⁄reasons of all these mathematical structures would be more that wellcome :-)

Thank you very much, AlephClo

Physics news on Phys.org
AlephClo said:
I read articles

Please provide some specific references. We can't know what background knowledge you have if we don't know what references you've actually read.

Ok, let's try a different starting point: what do you mean by "intrinsic spin symmetry" of spacetime? Feel free to give a reference to a specific part of the paper you linked to; even though I can't understand the French, I can probably guess from the equations what it is referring to.

The fermions spin +- 1⁄2, +- 3⁄2 etc; I understand is a the fourth symmetry of spacetime CPT, and it is derived⁄established from Poincaré and Lorentz groups. I want to unserstand the rational that supports that.

Thank youy for your time and patience. AlephClo

AlephClo said:
The fermions spin +- 1⁄2, +- 3⁄2 etc; I understand is a the fourth symmetry of spacetime CPT, and it is derived⁄established from Poincaré and Lorentz groups.

Do you mean CPT is the fourth symmetry? What do you think are the first three?

Also, you do realize that CPT symmetry doesn't just apply to fermions, right? It applies to all particles.

AlephClo said:
I try to understand where the intrinsic spin symmetry of spacetime (ISSS) is established. [...]
Let's try a slightly different route...

Angular momentum (in general) arises from spatial isotropy of the system under consideration. (IOW, invariance under 3D spatial rotations.)

Classically, there is a distinction between orbital angular momentum and intrinsic angular momentum. See Box 5.6 of Misner, Thorne & Wheeler for details. I gave a sketch of its contents long ago in this post.

Quantum mechanically, it turns out that angular momentum is quantized in half-integral steps. You don't need the full mechanics of spacetime, the Poincare group, etc, to derive this. You just need rotations of 3-dimensional space. See section 7.1 of Ballentine for a quick derivation. Basically, the half-integral quantization arises simply because we require that the group elements of SO(3) -- i.e., rotations of 3-dimensional space -- be represented as unitary operators on Hilbert space. Ballentine performs this derivation in just a few pages.

I suggest you put aside questions about CPT symmetry and the Poincare group temporarily -- until you understand the above in detail.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Thank you very much PeterDonis and Stangerep.
I do have MTW and I am in the process to go through it entirely, in conjuction with Schutz and Carroll. I looked at MTW and Ballentine and think I will be able to understand spin.

I went through Gravity & Light Winter School by F Schuller both lectures and tutorials. I strongly recommend that you give a look at it for further recommendations for self-learning people.

https://gravity-and-light.herokuapp.com/lectures
https://gravity-and-light.herokuapp.com/tutorials

Thank you again, AlephClo

1. What is the ISSS (International Society for the Systems Sciences)?

The ISSS is a professional organization dedicated to the study and application of systems thinking and systems science. It was founded in 1954 and has members from various fields including mathematics, engineering, psychology, and sociology.

2. What is Minkowski Space?

Minkowski Space is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time, creating a four-dimensional continuum. It was developed by mathematician Hermann Minkowski in 1908.

3. What is the Poincaré Group?

The Poincaré Group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of Minkowski Space. It includes translations, rotations, and boosts (transformations that change an object's velocity).

4. How does the Poincaré Group relate to ISSS?

The Poincaré Group is relevant to the study of systems thinking because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the relationships between different systems. It allows for the analysis of complex systems and their interactions with each other.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding ISSS from Minkowski Space to Poincaré Group?

Some practical applications include understanding and modeling complex systems such as economic systems, ecosystems, and social systems. It can also aid in problem-solving and decision-making by providing a holistic perspective on various systems and their interconnectedness. Additionally, it can help in designing more efficient and effective systems in fields such as engineering and management.