Understanding Optical Isomers: Identifying Correct Answers for Problem 1

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion over the correct answer for a question involving stereoisomers and the use of models or assigning R or S to solve it. It was also mentioned that the fourth optical isomer is the mirror image of G. The conversation ended with a suggestion to imagine the molecules in three dimensions for better understanding.
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

I thought G was the answer for part i) but it should be J, why?
I can roughly see the pattern- the RHS of G is rotated 120 ° and J is formed, but why isn't G or H the answer?
How to see if any two structures are optical isomers of each other? Does mirror images come into place here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I thought G was the answer for part i) but it should be J, why?
I can roughly see the pattern- the RHS of G is rotated 120 ° and J is formed, but why isn't G or H the answer?

There are two general approaches one can take to solving problems like these:
1) Build models of each of the stereoisomers and do the rotations yourself (with practice you will be able to do these rotations in your head).
2) Try to assign each stereocenter as R or S (building models can help with this process as well).

Ygggdrasil said:
There are two general approaches one can take to solving problems like these:
1) Build models of each of the stereoisomers and do the rotations yourself (with practice you will be able to do these rotations in your head).
2) Try to assign each stereocenter as R or S (building models can help with this process as well).
Thanks, will do.
Can u tell me if I'm right.. the fourth optical isomers is the mirror image of G ?

Janiceleong26 said:
Can u tell me if I'm right.. the fourth optical isomers is the mirror image of G ?
Yes, the missing stereoisomer is the mirror image (enantiomer) of G.

Ygggdrasil said:
Yes, the missing stereoisomer is the mirror image (enantiomer) of G.
Ok thanks

Or you can imagine yourself in the plane of the paper looking along the C-C ← bond like along the arrow. Then as you know the ___ is in the plane of the paper, the - - going behind, and the other one sticking out. You can mentally rotate them clockwise or anticlockwise. They have just chosen to put the group (-CH3) that is in the plane at the bottom in one case and at the top in the other. Which they are free to do, there is free rotation around the C-C bond so you can have the same molecule which looks superficially different. (And geometrically you don't need to put that the group in the plane at all so there are several other possible representations – I don't know if there is some convention in chemistry that I have missed out on restricting this).
I was finding looking at them in a slightly trancelike state (it's late) that I was actually seeing them in three dimensions. Useful thing maybe to try to get a habit of.

Likes Janiceleong26

What are optical isomers?

Optical isomers, also known as enantiomers, are molecules that have the same chemical formula and connectivity but differ in their arrangement in space. This results in the molecules having different physical and chemical properties.

Why is it important to understand optical isomers?

Understanding optical isomers is crucial in fields such as pharmaceuticals and biochemistry, where small differences in structure can lead to significant differences in how a molecule interacts with biological systems. It also allows scientists to synthesize specific enantiomers for desired effects.

How can you identify optical isomers?

Optical isomers can be identified by their different rotations of plane-polarized light. One isomer will rotate the light in a clockwise direction, while the other will rotate it counterclockwise. This property is known as optical activity.

What is the correct answer for Problem 1 in understanding optical isomers?

The correct answer for Problem 1 is that the two molecules are enantiomers, as they have the same chemical formula and connectivity, but differ in their spatial arrangement.

What is the difference between optical isomers and structural isomers?

Optical isomers have the same chemical formula and connectivity, but differ in their spatial arrangement, while structural isomers have the same molecular formula but differ in their bonding patterns and connectivity.