Understanding Simple Circuits: Answering Common Homework Questions

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit with various resistors and a battery. The participants are trying to determine the effects on potential difference, current, and voltage drop when certain resistors are increased or decreased. Through the use of Ohm's law and understanding of parallel and series circuits, they come to the conclusion that increasing a resistor will decrease potential difference and voltage drop, while decreasing a resistor will increase current.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5434/asdfjr7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically for this excercise I have to fill in the gaps with "increases", "decreases" or "stays the same".

Some of the parts I can do, others I am clueless in. It would be helpful if somebody could explain it to me in a very simple manner :smile:

a) If R7 increases, potential difference between points A and E increases. Assume no resistance in [PLAIN]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4954/26005668vm6.jpg and έ (the battery)

b) The same as in a) but with resistance between [PLAIN]http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/4954/26005668vm6.jpg and έ (the battery)
[I'm unsure what the answer is]

c) If R7 increases, voltage drop across R4 decreases

d) If R2 decreases, current through R1 _________ [unsure of answer]

There's a couple more, but I'll leave it at that for the time being so it's easier to "digest".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a and b, you need to write Ohm's law on A-->E (the lower part which has the battery), you will see how the voltage drop over AE depends on the current.

Hint: your answer on a is wrong

For other parts, you base on the variation of the current to justify the drop on each part.

Weimin said:
For a and b, you need to write Ohm's law on A-->E (the lower part which has the battery), you will see how the voltage drop over AE depends on the current.

Hint: your answer on a is wrong

For other parts, you base on the variation of the current to justify the drop on each part.

So in a) resistance increases, and we want to find V but how does current change?

Use ohms law to write an expression for the current -

current = voltage/total resistance. The voltage across any element is then easy to read off, V= current * resistance of element

Mentz114 said:
Use ohms law to write an expression for the current -

current = voltage/total resistance. The voltage across any element is then easy to read off, V= current * resistance of element

You probably think I'm dyslexic, but I'm still struggling...

V=I*R, no worries I understand that.
R7 is increasing and we want to find V, but what about current? Does the current remain the same? How are we to find V if I is not known?

Imagine a circuit comprising 3 resistors and a battery with zero resistance, which has voltage V. So, I = V/(r1+r2+r3). The voltage across r1 is given by V1= I*r1 = V*r1/(r1+r2+r3)

It's obvious now that if you increase r2 or r3, the voltage across r1 goes down.

Mentz114 said:
Imagine a circuit comprising 3 resistors and a battery with zero resistance, which has voltage V. So, I = V/(r1+r2+r3). The voltage across r1 is given by V1= I*r1 = V*r1/(r1+r2+r3)

It's obvious now that if you increase r2 or r3, the voltage across r1 goes down.

Ok yep, I understand that now.
So in relation to the example, r1=r7, r2=r5 and r3=r2?

I'd recommend writing out the equation for your circuit. You can combine the 2 parallel sets into one resistor which gives 4 in the current denominator.

Just thought I'd revisit this question.
After some thought, these are my rehashed answers

a) If R7 increases, potential difference between points A and E DECREASES. Assume no resistance in and έ (the battery)

b) The same as in a) but with resistance between and έ (the battery) DECREASES

c) If R7 increases, voltage drop across R4 DECREASES

d) If R2 decreases, current through R1 INCREASES

1. What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a basic electrical circuit that consists of a power source, a load, and conductive wires. It is the most fundamental type of circuit and is often used in electronic devices such as flashlights and remote controls.

2. How does a simple circuit work?

A simple circuit works by allowing electric current to flow from the power source, through the conductive wires, and to the load. The load, which can be a light bulb or any other electrical device, uses the energy from the current to perform its function. The circuit is completed when the current returns to the power source.

3. What are the components of a simple circuit?

The three main components of a simple circuit are a power source, a load, and conductive wires. The power source can be a battery or a power outlet, while the load can be any electrical device that uses the current to perform a function. The conductive wires are used to connect the power source to the load and complete the circuit.

4. How do you build a simple circuit?

To build a simple circuit, you will need a power source, a load, and conductive wires. Start by connecting one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the power source and the other end to the positive terminal of the load. Then, connect the negative terminal of the load to the negative terminal of the power source. This will create a closed circuit and allow the current to flow.

5. What is the difference between a series and parallel simple circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, meaning the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths, meaning the current can flow through each component separately. This results in different overall resistance and current values for each type of circuit.