Understanding the Length Contraction Paradox in Special Relativity

In summary: But that's not what Jir is asking, so I can't help him.In summary, there is a paradox in the scenario where the spearman tries to run through a door that is also 7 meters long, but the doorman wants to keep out the draft and only opens the first door. The paradox disappears if you imagine the bottom of the rivet and the head of the rivet were two separate objects.
Jir
Recently I started reading about relativity and found this flaw like thingy. I asked a friend of mine who studied physics and he came with the unsatisfying answer: 'at speeds like that everything kind of blurrs so the spearman won't crash into the door'.

Is the following correct and a paradox or not?

There is a spearman, with a spear of 7 meters long, who is running at 0.9c. He wants to run trough a room which is also 7 meters long. In the room is a man who has 2 buttons: one to open the first door and one to open the second door. However that man wants to keep out the draft and only wants to open 1 door. Will the spearman crash into the door or not?

The Doorman will see the spearman contracted to 3.05 meters so according to him the spearman will fit perfectly.

However the spearman will see the room contracted to 3.05 Meters so it won't fit according to him.

Who is right? And why? I'm kind of confuzzled by this.

Thanks in advance for anybody helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common missconception. In relativity becuase the idea of simultaniousness is lost the spear man will see the front door open then the back door open, next the front door will close once he is through it and finally the back door will close. This is what the spear man sees. The person controlling the door will still see just what you discribed. I know this sounds odd but it is the way relativity works. =)

The Barn and the Pole

This is a standard "puzzler" in special relativity called the "The Barn and the Pole" paradox. Its resolution rests on understanding that the two observers will disagree on whether both doors were closed at the same time. (Not sure what you mean by only opening one door. You'd better open the second door pretty quick or the spear will just smack into it. No need for relativity to understand that!)

Read about it here:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/barn_pole.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/polebarn.html

Thanks for the very clear explenations. Helped me allot :)

Jir said:
Recently I started reading about relativity and found this flaw like thingy. I asked a friend of mine who studied physics and he came with the unsatisfying answer: 'at speeds like that everything kind of blurrs so the spearman won't crash into the door'.

As others have explained this isn't a flaw. But you're right, that is a very unsatisfying answer! :biggrin:

I have a question. What if the spearman stops running once he gets inside the room and the second door isn't opened? The doorman sees the room at 7 meters long and the spear at 3.05 meters long, so no collision with the second door. The spearman sees the room at 3.05 meters and the spear at 7 meters so he smacks into the second door. So how can both situations be true?

O Great One said:
I have a question. What if the spearman stops running once he gets inside the room and the second door isn't opened? The doorman sees the room at 7 meters long and the spear at 3.05 meters long, so no collision with the second door. The spearman sees the room at 3.05 meters and the spear at 7 meters so he smacks into the second door. So how can both situations be true?
If the spearman stops, then he changes velocity, and the length of the spear relative to the barn will change--the doorman will see the spear expand, the spearman will see the barn expand, and once he has come to rest they will be in the same rest frame, so they'll agree that both the spear and the barn are 7 meters long. Whether or not the spear bumps either door depends on the exact details of how quickly the spearman decelerates, how the spear is positioned when it comes to rest relative to the barn, and so on.

It's not a real paradox, but only an apparent paradox. There is no problem with the theory, if you understand it.

Doc Al said:
It's not a real paradox, but only an apparent paradox. There is no problem with the theory, if you understand it.
Jir may be asking about the specific scenario in the link, the "bug/rivet paradox"--the link doesn't explain the resolution to the paradox. The paradox in that scenario would disappear if you imagined the bottom of the rivet and the head of the rivet were two separate objects, so there would just be a disagreement about whether the head of the rivet hits the wall before or after the bottom of the rivet hits the bottom of the hole. But if there can be disagreement about the order, this means these two events would have a spacelike separation, which means the event of the the head hitting the wall could have no causal influence on the bottom of the rivet before it reaches the bottom of the hole. So in the bug's frame of reference, the rivet would become stretched as the head was instantaneously decelerated as it hit the wall while the bottom continued on at the same velocity--basically the apparent paradox comes from imagining the rivet as a perfectly rigid object, so decelerating one part of it would instantly decelerate every other part by the same amount, but perfectly rigid objects are forbidden in relativity, accelerating one part of an object can only affect other parts of the object when a density wave traveling at the speed of sound in the material (always less than the speed of light) has had time to travel between the two parts.

Doc Al said:
It's not a real paradox, but only an apparent paradox.

Most dictionaries include 2 definitions of paradox that are contradictory. The standard paradoxes of special relativity are paradoxes acoording to defintion 2a of http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/paradox" , but not according to definition 2b.

There is no problem with the theory, if you understand it.

This is the best way to look at the situation.

Regards,
George

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding the Length Contraction Paradox in Special Relativity

1. What is the length contraction paradox?

The length contraction paradox, also known as Lorentz contraction, is a phenomenon described by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. It states that the length of an object in motion will appear shorter to an observer in a different frame of reference, compared to an observer at rest with the object.

2. How does length contraction occur?

Length contraction occurs due to time dilation, which is another aspect of special relativity. As an object moves at high speeds, time appears to slow down for that object. This results in a decrease in the measured length of the moving object from the perspective of an observer at rest.

3. Is length contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through numerous experiments. It is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of special relativity and has been mathematically proven to be true.

4. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

Length contraction can only be observed at extremely high speeds close to the speed of light. In our everyday lives, we do not experience these speeds, so we do not observe length contraction. However, it can be observed in the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators.

5. How does length contraction affect our understanding of space and time?

Length contraction is one of the key concepts that challenges our traditional understanding of space and time. It shows that space and time are not absolute and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This concept is crucial to understanding the fundamental principles of special relativity and the nature of the universe.