Understanding the Relationship Between Force and Motion in Physics

In summary, this question is valid for cars with four driving wheels, as long as the engine isn't on them.
jeekeshen
Am getting really confuse with some force related equation..

Power = Workdone / Time

= Force X Speed

BUT THIS FORCE is it the one that makes the object move or the friction force( the one opposing the motion )

Because one of my homework makes me think that it's the frictional force, pleasezz help

Physics news on Phys.org
Power = Force*Speed is correct. However, we can see that energy of a constant force applied over a distance d is F*d. If this force is applied over the distance d for a time t, then the average speed will be d/t. Thus, this you could say that P = F*v. More importantly, if we think of the force being applied over an infinitesimal distance dx, for an infinitesimal amount of time, dt, then we will find that P(t)=F(t)*(dx/dt)=F(t)*v(t). So this definition is true at any given time t.

Welcome to PF!

Hi jeekeshen! Welcome to PF! :smile:
jeekeshen said:
BUT THIS FORCE is it the one that makes the object move or the friction force( the one opposing the motion )

Because one of my homework makes me think that it's the frictional force, pleasezz help

We usually talk about the power of a machine, so yes, that means using the force that makes the object move. :smile:

However, if the object isn't accelerating, that force will be the same as the friction force (well, ok, the opposite! :rolleyes:), and often the friction force is easier to calculate :wink:

I assume your homework question tells you only the speed the mass and the coefficient of kinetic friction ?

By definition, *any* force can do work. If the power is calculated for the friction force, it just gives the value of the quantity of energy dissipated by friction per second. We calculate the frictional power for determining the brake power of the engine-the one obtained at the flywheel.

The real Question : The power of the car is 36.6 kw and speed is 32m/s
the mass of the car is 720 kg...

Calculate the magnitude of the external force opposing the motion of the car...??

Well, in general you can have a power for each force - or more precisely, each force either applies or dissipates some power. So if you have a force that is pushing the car, like the force from the engine, you can calculate the power applied by that force, and if you have a force that is resisting the push, like friction, you can calculate the power dissipated by that force. An "applied" power will be positive, and a "dissipated" power will be negative; and if you add up the (positive) applied power from the engine and the (negative) dissipated power from the friction, you will get the net power exerted to move the car. That will be the same result you would get if you calculated the power exerted by the net force (engine minus friction) acting on the car.

In the question you posted, it looks like they give you the power exerted by the engine, and they want you to figure out the frictional force.

Yes but i have its kinetic energy also... would this help to calculate the frictional force ?

jeekeshen said:
… speed is 32m/s
jeekeshen said:
Yes but i have its kinetic energy also... would this help to calculate the frictional force ?

If the speed is constant, why would KE come into it? :confused:

jeekeshen said:
The real Question : The power of the car is 36.6 kw and speed is 32m/s

Calculate the magnitude of the external force opposing the motion of the car...??
Since you're given the power and speed of the car, use that to figure out the effective force providing that power. Then ask: What's the net force on the car? (Is it accelerating?)

No not accelerating... the net force will perhaps be; using F= Ma where f is the resultant force, 720 X 9.8 = net force...

jeekeshen said:
No not accelerating... the net force will perhaps be; using F= Ma where f is the resultant force, 720 X 9.8 = net force...
If it's not accelerating, then the acceleration = 0. So what's the net force?

jeekeshen said:
720 X 9.8 = net force...

The car isn't in free fall!

O yea acceleration is therefore zero WTF

jeekeshen said:
O yea acceleration is therefore zero
Right, the acceleration is zero and so is the net force. So the two forces acting on the car--the driving force and the opposing force--must be equal and opposite. The power equation will allow you to figure out the driving force.

JUST for general knowledge,
is this question valid for 4 driving wheels( i mean, some of the cards(most) have two driving wheels(i hope that's who you call them) , in the front of the car where there the engine is )' but will it be valid?
or the question is for any force, not just friction with the ground, could be air drag as well?right?
thx

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between Force and Motion in Physics

1. What is the force equation?

The force equation is a mathematical formula that relates the net force acting on an object with its mass and acceleration. It is written as F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I solve force equation problems?

To solve a force equation problem, you will need to identify the given values for the force, mass, and acceleration, and plug them into the equation F=ma. Then, you can solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to pay attention to the units of measurement and use the correct units in your calculations.

3. What is the unit of force in the force equation?

The unit of force in the force equation is Newton (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton, who developed the laws of motion and the concept of force.

4. Can the force equation be used to calculate any type of force?

Yes, the force equation can be used to calculate any type of force, as long as the mass and acceleration of the object are known. It is a general equation that applies to all types of forces, including gravitational, frictional, and applied forces.

5. What are some real-life applications of the force equation?

The force equation has many real-life applications, such as calculating the force needed to lift an object, determining the force of gravity on an object, and calculating the acceleration of a moving car. It is also used in engineering and physics to design structures and machines.