Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unexpected result with bar fixed to spring with periodic loading

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hi, I solved a steady state problem involving a bar fixed to string in the left side and pulled periodically on the right side [itex]f(x,t)=P_0sin(wt)[/itex]. To check the solution i made E (young's modulus) go to infinity, essentially making the bar rigid. the expression i expected to receive is:

u(x,t) = [itex]\frac{P_0sin(wt)}{k}[/itex]

which is hookes law.

but the expression i received was:

u(x,t) = [itex]\frac{P_0sin(wt)}{k-ρ_{1D}Lw^{2}}[/itex]

the density is one dimensional and L is the bar length.
    this expression has an extra term that depends on the frequency which subtracts from the spring constant.
    i checked the units and my calculations and they seem to add up. i cant visualize the effect of frequency on the displacement field for a rigid bar. Does this term really "exist" or is this some kind of error?

BTW, the model i used for the bar is the longitudinal displacement equation for bars:
    [itex](AEu)''+f(x,t)=ρ\stackrel{..}{u}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The "extra" term looks like the rotary inertia of the beam, and a term something like that should be there.

Look up the theory of single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) vibrating systems.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    Thank you, I see it know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook