1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform Continuity of 1/x^2 on various sets

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that f(x)=[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex] is uniformly continuous on the set [1,[tex]\infty[/tex]) but not on the set (0,1].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been working at this for at least 2 hours now, possibly 3, and I can't say I really have much of any idea about it. I've primarily been looking at the fact that a function f: A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\Re[/tex] is not uniformly continuous iff [tex]\exists[/tex] some [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] > 0 and sequences xn and yn where |xn-yn| [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] 0 but |f(xn)-f(yn)|[tex]\geq[/tex] [tex]\epsilon[/tex]0.

My thought was to somehow say that, for part one, because all sequences must be [tex]\geq[/tex] 1, they must converge to the same thing and therefore |f(xn)-f(yn)|= 0 for some n, but I'm not sure if I can for various reasons. In fact, I can't even really come up with any sequences in (0,1] to show that the function is not uniformly continuous on that set. I can think of another way to do that one, but I really want to see some sequences to do it to prove that it works in that case.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Look at the graph of f(x) = 1/x^2. For the interval x >= 1, the graph is fairly level, so if |x1 - x2| is small, |f(x1) = f(x2)| is small as well. OTOH, the graph is very steep for x close to zero, so |x1 - x2| being small doesn't guarantee that |f(x1) - f(x2)| will also be small.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?