• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Unit sphere arcwise connected?

• Thread starter chy1013m1
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Show that the unit sphere {(x, y, z) : x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1} in R^3 is arcwise connected.

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
find a continous map f(t ) such that f( 0) = a, f(1 ) = b. a, b, in R^3 and are on the unit sphere. then show for every t in [0,1] f(t ) is on the sphere. just having trouble finding the right f . Tried f = ta + (1-t)b but only noticed that it is a line segment , so it should be wrong..

a sphere is convex? I know balls are convex.. just by intuition, a line from a -> b (a, b, on the sphere, the 'shell') is not on the shell of the sphere. .? since {(x, y, z) : x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1} , equality is required not <= (i may be wrong)

StatusX

Homework Helper
Just pick any path between the points that doesn't go through zero (eg, the straight line path unless they are diamterically opposed) and project it on the sphere by dividing each vector r(t) by its length. There is a slight technical difference between paths and arcs: arcs can't intersect themselves. But it shouldn't be hard to show this isn't a problem for the projections here.

would all the points on the vector ab (a,b on the sphere) be on the sphere?.. i cannot see that and I don't think so..
I am just following the def of arc-connectness:
A set S in Rn is arc-connected if any 2 points in S can be joined by a continous curve in S, that is, if for any a, b, in S, there is a continous map f : [0,1] ->Rn s.t. f( 0) = a, f( 1) = b and f(t ) is in S for all t in [0, 1]

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
No, they're not on the sphere. But StatusX told you how to get round that.