Solving Vector C with Unit Vectors | Cross Product Help

In summary, a unit vector has a magnitude of 1 and is used to describe direction or orientation in space. Unit vectors are important in simplifying complex vector equations and understanding magnitude and direction. To find the unit vector of a given vector, divide each component by the magnitude of the vector. A unit vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Normalizing a vector to a unit vector is important for simplifying calculations and comparing and combining vectors. It also makes the direction of the vector clearer.
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

use unit vectors to express the vector C where C=3.00A-4.00B
the answer is apparently C=12.0i + 14.9j

Homework Equations

cross product

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to even start how is it possible to find the i orj because i don't even know the components of A or B

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the unit vector you're going to have to divide each component of the vector by the magnitude of the vector.

What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is used to describe a direction or orientation in space.

Why are unit vectors important in mathematics and science?

Unit vectors are important because they allow us to simplify complex vector equations and calculations. They also help us to understand the direction and magnitude of a vector more easily.

How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, divide each component of the vector by the magnitude of the vector.

Can a unit vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a unit vector by definition has a magnitude of 1, which is always positive.

Why is it important to normalize a vector to a unit vector?

Normalizing a vector to a unit vector ensures that the vector has a magnitude of 1, which makes it easier to compare and combine with other vectors. It also simplifies calculations and makes the direction of the vector more clear.