Solve Energy Homework: Understand (2) & (3) of 1 J = 1 N m

In summary, the textbook is trying to say that if I push a 1 Kg mass at an acceleration of 9.8 m/s2, then the Force will be 1 N. If I push the mass 1 m, that is 1 N m of work done.
richard9678

Homework Statement

I cannot understand what is written in my textbook.

Homework Equations

i.e:

1 J = 1 N m (I get that) ........(1)

= 1 Kg m s-2 x m ......(2)

= 1 Kg m2 s-2...(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I push a 1 Kg mass (in space) at an acceleration of 9.8 m s-2) then the Force will be 1 N. And if I push the mass 1 m, that is 1 N m of work done.

What are expressions (2) and (3) saying?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
richard9678 said:

= 1 Kg m2 s-2...(3)If I push a 1 Kg mass at an acceleration of 9.8 m s-2 then the Force will be 1 N.

A force of 1 N will accelerate a 1 kg mass at 1 m/s2.

And if I push the mass 1 m, that is 1 N m of work done.

They are just showing how the Joule can be expressed in terms of the three base SI units: kg, m, s.

Likes 1 person
richard9678 said:

Homework Statement

I cannot understand what is written in my textbook.

Homework Equations

i.e:

= 1 Kg m2 s-2...(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I push a 1 Kg mass at an acceleration of 9.8 m s-2) then the Force will be 1 N.
it will be 9.8 kg.m/sec^2, which is called 9.8 N , since a Newton is defined as a kg.m/sec^2.
And if I push the mass 1 m, that is 1 N m of work done.
9.8 N.m of work done, or 9.8 kg.m^2/sec^2 in longhand form.
Same thing, in SI basic units of mass, length, and time. Force is a derived quantity.

Aah, I was making a mistake with the definition of the Newton. I was (for some reason) thinking that the definition of the Newton had something to do with Earth's gravity. Of course, gravity exerts a force of 9.8 Newtons on a 1 Kg mass, not 1 Newton.

(1) is talking about a unit called Newton metres.

(2) is talking about a unit called?

(3) is talking about a unit called?

(2) and (3) are combinations of base SI units. You can call (3) a "kilogram meter-squared per second-squared" :smile:

Having thought about this, these are my thoughts:

The definition of the Newton is the force it takes to accelerate a 1Kg mass (in space, outside of a gravitational field) at 1 m/s/s.

So, really, whatever work done that it takes to move that 1 Kg, can be expressed in terms of Kg per metre of movement - of a body in space. If the mass is 2 Kg, then work done doubles. Move a 1 Kg mass at an acceleration of 1 m/s/s, 1 metre and work done is 1 J.

You can also express the work done in terms of Kg per second of the movement of a body in space. Double the time, and work done doubles. Move a 1 Kg mass at an acceleration of 1 m/s/s for 1 second and work done is 1 joule.

Of course, here were talking about a mass hanging in space. And referring to mass, time, distance, acceleration.

If we get away from mass in space, and units associated with that situation, we may talk about Newton metres.

A force of 1 Newton moving anything, whatever it's mass, no matter how long it takes, 1 metre, equals 1 J of work done. There will be no acceleration if the force remains constant. And it is this Newton metre measure, that is really an equivalent to the other measures.

My 2 cents. I think I solved my problem.

What is the meaning of 1 J = 1 N m?

1 J = 1 N m is a unit conversion equation that relates the unit of energy (Joule) to the unit of work (Newton meter). It means that 1 Joule of energy is equivalent to 1 Newton meter of work.

Why is it important to understand 1 J = 1 N m?

Understanding 1 J = 1 N m is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and energy calculations. It allows us to convert between units of energy and work, which is essential in solving problems and conducting experiments involving energy.

How does 1 J = 1 N m relate to the concept of energy?

1 J = 1 N m is a mathematical representation of the relationship between energy and work. Energy is the ability to do work, and work is defined as the product of force and distance. Therefore, 1 J of energy is equivalent to the work done by a force of 1 Newton acting over a distance of 1 meter.

Can 1 J = 1 N m be used to convert between other units of energy and work?

Yes, 1 J = 1 N m can be used as a conversion factor to convert between other units of energy and work. For example, 1 kJ (kilojoule) is equal to 1000 J, and 1 kJ = 1 N m x 1000 = 1000 N m.

How is 1 J = 1 N m related to the SI unit system?

1 J = 1 N m is a derived unit in the SI (International System of Units) system, which is the most widely used system of measurement in science. It is derived from the base units of force (Newton) and distance (meter) and is used to measure energy and work in SI units.