1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Units of constant of proportionality, can I sum them like this ?

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,

I have four different, but known, dimensionless values C1, C2, C3 and C4 (they are actually contrasts that can be displayed on a crt monitor).

I have measured the voltages (V1 and V2) required to produce C1 and C2 in isolation, but have had to measure V3 by combining C3 and C4 together, I think I may have the relationsihps as defined below, where a and b are scaling constants, and also there is a relation between C1 and C3 and also C2 and C4, hence the use of the same scaling fators.

2. Relevant equations

V1 = a * C1
    V2 = b * C2, and
    V3 = (a * C3) + (b * C4)

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is can I simply say that I'm going to define a and b to have the units of Volts in order for the equtions to balance? and in the case of V3 can I just sum the products a*C3 and b*C4 and set it equal to V3?

I think this is a valid method of combining units, but would be grateful for any advice if I have overlooked something or made a logical error, etc, many thanks.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted