Units - Watts, meters & Kelvin

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between units of watts, meters, and Kelvins. The equation for thermal radiation, L = σT^4 * 4πR^2, is filled with values and units to calculate the answer in watts. However, the answer given was in units of K^4 m^2. The correct way to combine or cancel the units is by using the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, which has units of watts per square meter per Kelvin. This provides the conversion between the different units.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Units -- Watts, meters & Kelvin

I have an equation:
[tex]L = \sigma T^{4} * 4 \pi R^{2}[/tex]

Which I fill with values and units
[tex]L=5.67*10^{-8} * (5860K)^{4} * 4 \pi * (6.96*10^{8}m)^{2}[/tex]

and I get an answer:

[tex]4.07*10^{26} K^{4} m^{2} [/tex]

The correct answer is:

[tex]4.07*10^{26} watts [/tex]

I don't understand the relationship between meters, Kelvins, and Watts. How do I properly combine or cancel the units to arrive at Watts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Investigate the units on your [itex] \sigma [/itex]

Integral said:
Investigate the units on your [itex] \sigma [/itex]
I was thinking the answer might lie there, but that might be a unitless constant. I think there is a Kelvin meter relationship that yields watts.

Thank you. I get it now. You're both right. It does have units :redface:

What is a watt?

A watt is a unit of power, equal to one joule per second. It is commonly used to measure the rate at which energy is transferred or work is done.

What is a meter?

A meter is a unit of length in the metric system, equal to 100 centimeters or approximately 39.37 inches. It is commonly used to measure distance or length.

What is Kelvin?

Kelvin is a unit of temperature in the International System of Units (SI). It is equal to the fraction 1/273.16 of the thermodynamic temperature of the triple point of water. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

How do you convert watts to kilowatts?

To convert watts to kilowatts, divide the number of watts by 1000. For example, if you have 5000 watts, divide 5000 by 1000 to get 5 kilowatts.

What is the relationship between temperature and Kelvin?

Kelvin is a temperature scale that is based on absolute zero, the theoretical temperature at which all molecular motion stops. The relationship between temperature and Kelvin is that 0 Kelvin is equal to -273.15 degrees Celsius, and the size of one Kelvin degree is the same as one Celsius degree. This means that the temperature in Kelvin can never be negative.