1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown solutions!

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    There are 3 beakers with solutions inside of the beakers A B and C, however the labels have fallen off!

The labels of the solutions are: MgSO4, CaCl2, and AgNO3.

Explain the steps you would use to determine which beaker has which solution inside of each of the three beakers.

My first intuition is that you need to precipitate something, I just don't know what. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Follow your intuition then.

Are you allowed to use additional reagents, or can you use only the three listed? In the latter case I am not convinced all three solutions can be properly identified.

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    We can do what ever we want with it! Well, what I think is that first we take a sample of each and add Ca 2+ ions (CaO) to each, and it should then create a precipitate of CaSO4. After that take additional samples from each and add sulphide ions (Na2S) to then form a precipitate of Ag2S.

That's what I think, is this correct?

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

CaO as a source of Ca2+? Think it over.

Na2S will work, but silver can be detected much simpler, with much more common reagent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook