Help with Unusual Aerospace Design Project

• Thread starter Arctic Fox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, someone suggested that someone might be able to help with a project if they learn CAD or something similar, but they are not sure where to go for help. If someone has an idea to draw up, they suggest that they may be able to convey the idea without actually drawing it themselves.
Arctic Fox
I need help on a project I'm wanting to build. I think I need CAD or something like that, but am not sure. There may be people who can draw designs like blueprints, but I don't know where to go for this help. I think I'm stuck.

My idea goes along an aerospace theme, but at the moment I'm not sure if I could give out details of this design (you'll laugh).

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about?
Does anyone know where I can get help with this problem?

-A.F.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Uh, other than "I think I need CAD", you still haven't defined the problem.

I'm sorry.

I can't draw in specific detail. I have ideas that I can draw rough diagrams on, but minute details are a problem (like the workings of a landing gear).

Before I can go to companies for custom designed parts, they want blueprints on my ideas. For this I am wondering if I should learn CAD (or something like it), or if there are companies/people that would be able to take simple drafts of my design and improve on them.

If you're designing parts, then you'll want to look into solid modeling.

There are companies out there who can do the drafting for you, but I don't know what you'd be charged.

Most modeling packages which I've worked on are fairly expensive, but I'm sure there are some out there for a few hundred. There are plenty of 2D packages which are fairly affordable.

If you can share a little more detail about what you're trying to do, we may be able to guide you toward the best solution.

If you have an idea you want to draw up it is not clear to me how you will convey this idea to anyone else without drawing it yourself first. You can do a lot with 2d drawings. Sure all the big boys use 3d packages now, but they are pretty recent in the scheme of things. After all, we went to the moon with hand drawn 2d blue prints. http://www.imsisoft.com/faminfo.asp?fam=1 has some free trial software you can start learning on. It used to be you could legally run their trial 2d for free as long as you wanted. I am not sure if that deal is still in effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the unusual aerospace design project?

The purpose of the unusual aerospace design project is to develop a new and innovative design for an aircraft, spacecraft, or other aerospace technology that can potentially improve upon existing designs or fill a gap in the market. This can include anything from creating a more fuel-efficient engine to designing a completely new type of aircraft.

2. What makes this aerospace design project different from others?

This aerospace design project is considered unusual due to its unique goals or objectives. It may involve unconventional materials, methods, or concepts that have not been previously explored in the aerospace industry. It could also be a combination of different technologies that have not been used together before.

3. What challenges might be encountered during this project?

As with any scientific project, there are bound to be challenges along the way. Some potential challenges that could arise during the unusual aerospace design project include technical difficulties, budget constraints, and regulatory hurdles. Additionally, since this project involves a new and unconventional approach, there may be unforeseen obstacles that need to be overcome.

4. How long will this project take to complete?

The timeline for this project will depend on various factors such as the complexity of the design, availability of resources, and the success of each stage of the project. It is difficult to determine an exact timeframe, but it is common for aerospace design projects to take several years to complete.

5. What are the potential benefits of the unusual aerospace design project?

The potential benefits of this project are numerous. If successful, it could lead to advancements in the aerospace industry, such as more efficient and environmentally-friendly aircraft, improved safety measures, and increased capabilities for space exploration. It could also have economic benefits by creating new job opportunities and driving innovation in the field.