Upgrade and new good original Sci-Fi

• Thread starter dahoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sci-fi
In summary, I've recently watched two great sci-fi movies, "Time Trap" and "Upgrade". "Upgrade" is really good.
dahoa
Many sci-fi movies are boring or clichés but I just happened to watch two of the best in a row... Time Trap and Upgrade... the latter is really good...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/upgrade_2018

What good sci-fi have you watched lately? really good ones that don't have themes already explored before... or ideas so unique it blows your mind!

I watch 4 to 5 sci fi movies each week...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen some of the classics like Forbidden Planet (1956)

or Day the Earth Stood Still with Michael Rennie (1951) ?

Last edited:
Likes Imager
dahoa said:
What good sci-fi have you watched lately? really good ones that don't have themes already explored before... or ideas so unique it blows your mind!

The Age of Adaline (2015) has become a relatively recent all time favorite.

The Circle
(2017) is a very well done strong cultural extrapolation of current trends. I found it too depressing for it to be a favorite.

For me, the three most original SF of the last few years were:
Annihilation
Arrival
Under the Skin

The very recent 'The Endless' scores points for originality, but is much more flawed.

I should probably mention that we already have a thread for hardcore SF films:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/movies-for-hardcore-sci-fi-geeks.290242/
There's some great recommendations in there. but maybe it's time to start a new one.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Bandersnatch said:
For me, the three most original SF of the last few years were:
Annihilation
Arrival
Under the Skin

The very recent 'The Endless' scores points for originality, but is much more flawed.

I have watched all of the above already. In fact. I tried to watch one sci-fi movie every night. It's just that out of 10 movies. 7 are not good.. I hate wasting time on bad movies.. so if possible i'll only watch those recommended by sci-fi experts here.

I should probably mention that we already have a thread for hardcore SF films:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/movies-for-hardcore-sci-fi-geeks.290242/
There's some great recommendations in there. but maybe it's time to start a new one.

I'll check it out. Last message was written in December 2017. Anyway. What site can I check out every sci-fi movie released in 2018?

dahoa said:
What site can I check out every sci-fi movie released in 2018?
Wikipedia and IMBd both have their lists. Wiki is more restrictive in what it considers sci-fi.
Have you checked those?

dahoa said:
I tried to watch one sci-fi movie every night.
Good films are a limited resource. Due to this rampant overexploitation you've reached peak film. The supply cannot meet the demand. Only drastic austerity measures may help you now. Consider switching to alternative fuels - old sci-fi, TV series, books even. :-p

Likes BillTre
Bandersnatch said:
Wikipedia and IMBd both have their lists. Wiki is more restrictive in what it considers sci-fi.
Have you checked those?Good films are a limited resource. Due to this rampant overexploitation you've reached peak film. The supply cannot meet the demand. Only drastic austerity measures may help you now. Consider switching to alternative fuels - old sci-fi, TV series, books even. :-p

Many nights I watched rubbish sci-fi films and wish I didn't watch it (more than 50% of sci-fi are rubbish). This is why sometimes I watched old films like Predators or Aliens. Or i'll only watch those at least recommend by others.

I liked Day the Earth Stood Still when I was a kid because of Gort. Later I rewatched when in college and was shocked that they used real math of partial differential equations and mentioned separation of variables something I had just learned.

Forbidden Planet was based on a Shakespearean play The Tempest. I really liked the robot and the futuristic home.

An interesting sci fi movie is The Man from Earth. There’s no special effects just talk on what if someone lived forever.

The Disney kids movie The Flight Of the Navigator is pretty neat too.

jedishrfu said:
An interesting sci fi movie is The Man from Earth. There’s no special effects just talk on what if someone lived forever.

The Disney kids movie The Flight Of the Navigator is pretty neat too.

Watched both. Man from Earth is tragic because the only witness suffers heart attack. I re watched Flight of the Navigator early this.. I heard they will make another one like it.

Do you guys know of any movies that has topic about dark matter or exploring theoretical physics themes? I want something that can make me think after finished watching every night.

I presume you've seen Primer. But have you seen Shane Carruth's second film? 'Upstream Color'. I'm not sure if it's sci-fi. I'm not sure what it is, for that matter.

Bandersnatch said:
I presume you've seen Primer. But have you seen Shane Carruth's second film? 'Upstream Color'. I'm not sure if it's sci-fi. I'm not sure what it is, for that matter.

No. I haven't watched them. I'll get them watch them tonight and tomorrow.

For Saturday and sunday night.. I'm still looking. You see.. I haven't watched over 60% of sci-fi yet. I just want to make sure I'd only watch good ones so as not to waste time. Sometimes I have to watch re-runs when there is no new ones. I'm free every 6pm to 8pm daily to watch movie. I guess you guys watch daily too? lol

You might need an extra day or two to think after watching Primer.

Bandersnatch said:
You might need an extra day or two to think after watching Primer.

Ok. i'l watch it tonight.. I don't want sci-fi like zombies that can over used already or clichés. But those really original like Tiime Trap and Upgrade I watched the past 2 days. The rest I watched are just grade-B or low budget and they are very bad. That's why I'm seeking specifically films that can make you become awed by the twists and unpredictability.

I just finished watching Primer. I couldn't understand or got confused when watching it. It is only after I read summary of what's going on that I could appreciate it. Also it's made of only $7000 budget so it looks a bit mediocre. But the following movies I watched last month are similar to it and they are very good in executions!

Synchonicity https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049543/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
ARQ https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5640450/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
Paradox (2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4540434/
Paradox (2016) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2442620/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

It's weird two movies can have same title for a given year.. is it even allowed?!

I'll watch Upstream Color tomorrow... Then rewatch Aliens part 1 to 5 this weekend if I can't find good ones. This is night life of sci-fi addict... lol!

And yet you haven’t watched the two classics yet.

There’s a campy one called TOBOR the Great which is very simplistic but fun to watch.

And then there’s the Original and Outer Limits series to with each episode a mini movie with a moral.

jedishrfu said:
And yet you haven’t watched the two classics yet.

There’s a campy one called TOBOR the Great which is very simplistic but fun to watch.

And then there’s the Original and Outer Limits series to with each episode a mini movie with a moral.

The Day Stood Still (1951)? I don't watch movies produced prior to the 1970s because they were old fashioned except for Dawn's Early Lights about the nuclear bomber. But I guess I'll try the Stood Still. Thanks for reminding it.

I only liked science fiction where it can be seed for ideas of physics or science of the future.. or have ideas what kinds of science possessed by far away alien civilizations. Btw.. do you know how many billions of years after the Big Bang before life became possible.. so as to know how many billions of years can the most advanced alien civilization be ahead of us?

dahoa said:
I just happened to watch two of the best in a row... Time Trap and Upgrade... the latter is really good...

Just watched Upgrade last night. It was good. Thanks.

jedishrfu said:
I liked Day the Earth Stood Still when I was a kid because of Gort. Later I rewatched when in college and was shocked that they used real math of partial differential equations and mentioned separation of variables something I had just learned.

Have you every read the original short story, "Farewell to the Master" ?

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
It starts out quite good.

Let me know what you think of the end!

It was a great ending. I finished the story last night. The story itself was a bit dragged out but I guess that's because our more modern stories and movies move faster and sometimes give you headaches. My dad would often say he didn't like the fast switch that movies often do and preferred the character closeups and talking to tell the story.

Of course, it was different from the 1954 movie and I liked that movie a lot when I was a kid. Klaatu in the movie said we created a races of robots to rule over us so in that sense the movie matched the book. I use a quote from the movie as my PF signature.

Last edited:
Likes Imager

1. What makes a good original sci-fi story?

A good original sci-fi story should have a unique and thought-provoking concept, well-developed and relatable characters, and a believable and consistent world or universe. It should also explore complex themes and ideas, while still being entertaining and engaging.

2. How important is scientific accuracy in a sci-fi story?

Scientific accuracy is important in a sci-fi story, as it helps to ground the story in reality and make it more believable. However, creativity and imagination are also essential in sci-fi, so some degree of artistic license is acceptable as long as it does not completely disregard scientific principles.

3. Can an upgrade be considered a form of new technology in sci-fi?

Yes, an upgrade can be considered a form of new technology in sci-fi. An upgrade typically involves improving or enhancing an existing technology, which can lead to advancements and new possibilities within the story's universe.

4. How can a writer ensure their sci-fi story is original?

A writer can ensure their sci-fi story is original by researching and reading a wide range of sci-fi works to avoid repeating common tropes and ideas. They can also draw inspiration from real-world events and scientific advancements to create a unique and fresh story.

5. Is it important for a sci-fi story to have a message or moral?

While not necessary, having a message or moral can add depth and meaning to a sci-fi story. It can also make the story more relatable and thought-provoking for readers. However, the message should not overshadow the plot and characters, but rather enhance them.