1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Help needed (NOT HOMEWORK)- My Calculus Project- When the World will End

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    Hello ladies and gentleman. I need help ONLY because....my project is due tomorrow. BUT dear sirs and siresses, do not fret. I only need some help in some areas (let us hope).

My project is entitled When the World will End. I wanted to make a somewhat, vague creative project, so I chose this project.

The problem I need is how to find the area and the volume of the world, and the volume of the world's water using calculus methods only. I know how to find volume and area, but the variables for finding the area nd volume of the world are confusing.

My goal is to find a maximum carrying capacity of the world using calculus, and then I will use logistic growth to find the time from today to see when the world will end.

My project is based on the fact that humans need a certain supply of water (let's say 1 gallon to start) every day. The point I want to find is what time humans will surpass the point when there is either not enough space or not enough water for humans.

Now i have some givens-

Area of the world- 148.94 sq km
    area of the world's water- 361.132 sq km
    Approximate volume of the world's water- 326 cubic miles

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. The world will not "end" in the scenario you outline. It will be self-limiting if we reach the limits of our water recycling and food growing capabilities. And the volume of the oceans is not really relevant -- more to your point is the volume of fresh water available, and what the natural turnover rate is (evaporation from the oceans and precipitation of fresh water over land).

I'm also not sure how calculus would come into this -- do you mean to use a related rates type of approach?

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

berkeman

Oh, and your post is coursework, so it belongs here in the Homework Help forums, where I've moved it.

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4
    the world ends thing is supposed to be a catching title lol, but its not meant to be literal. although, i HAVE to use calculus, as i tried to think of more interesting ideas for a calc project but i have only this. i cant use physics

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5

berkeman

Have you covered the topic of Related Rates yet? Seems like you might be able to write a few equations that would apply to different parts of the survival puzzle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook