Urgent help on a simple instantaneous power problem

In summary, the position of a particle on the x-axis is given by x=2t^2, with an applied force of F=e^(2t) parallel to the x axis. To calculate the power supplied by this force as a function of time, one can use either P = dW/dt or P = Fv, resulting in slightly different answers. P = Fv may be easier to use when power is changing over time.
Blkmage

Homework Statement

The position of a particle on the x-axis is given by x = 2t^2, due to an applied force of F = e^(2t) parallel to the x axis.

a. Write an expression for the power supplied by this force as a function of time.
b. Compute the instantaneous power when the particle is at x = 8.0

Homework Equations

P = dW/dt
P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've talked to some of my classmates about this and I did P = dW/dt while some of them did P = Fv. I'm having trouble comprehending which one to use and why the two methods give different answers.

I said W = Fd = 2t^2*e^(2t) and differentiated that using the product rule, resulting in:

P(t) = 4te^(2t) (t + 1)

Meanwhile, using P = Fv, I just get 4te^(2t). Can someone explain why this is? Part b won't be hard for me once I figure out which way is correct in part a

Physics news on Phys.org
Blkmage said:

Homework Statement

The position of a particle on the x-axis is given by x = 2t^2, due to an applied force of F = e^(2t) parallel to the x axis.

a. Write an expression for the power supplied by this force as a function of time.
b. Compute the instantaneous power when the particle is at x = 8.0

Homework Equations

P = dW/dt
P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've talked to some of my classmates about this and I did P = dW/dt while some of them did P = Fv. I'm having trouble comprehending which one to use and why the two methods give different answers.

I said W = Fd = 2t^2*e^(2t) and differentiated that using the product rule, resulting in:

P(t) = 4te^(2t) (t + 1)

Meanwhile, using P = Fv, I just get 4te^(2t). Can someone explain why this is? Part b won't be hard for me once I figure out which way is correct in part a

When power is changing over time, I think P=dW/dt would be harder to work with. The formulation P(t)=F(t)*v(t) would seem to lend itself better to calculating instaneous power...

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concepts behind the equations rather than just blindly applying them. Both methods can be used to find the instantaneous power, but they are derived from different principles and thus give slightly different answers.

The first method, P = dW/dt, is based on the definition of power as the rate of change of work. In this case, you correctly calculated the work done by the force as W = 2t^2*e^(2t). However, when you differentiate this with respect to time, you also need to use the chain rule to account for the fact that t is a function of time. This leads to the extra term of (t+1) in your final answer.

The second method, P = Fv, is based on the definition of power as the product of force and velocity. In this case, you need to use the expression for velocity, v = dx/dt, to calculate the power. When you substitute this into the equation, you get P = Fv = F(dx/dt) = 4te^(2t), which is the answer you got using this method.

Both methods are valid and can be used to calculate the instantaneous power. It is important to understand the underlying principles and equations to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy in your calculations. In this case, the difference in the answers is due to the fact that the two methods are based on different definitions of power.

1. What is instantaneous power?

Instantaneous power refers to the amount of energy being transferred or used at a specific moment in time. It is often measured in watts (W) and can be calculated by dividing the change in energy by the change in time.

2. How is instantaneous power different from average power?

While instantaneous power refers to the amount of energy being transferred at a specific moment, average power is the total amount of energy being transferred over a period of time. Instantaneous power can fluctuate, while average power provides a more consistent measurement of energy usage.

3. What is a simple example of an instantaneous power problem?

A simple instantaneous power problem could involve calculating the power of a light bulb that turns on and off every second. This would require knowing the change in energy (measured in joules) and the change in time (measured in seconds) in order to calculate the instantaneous power (measured in watts).

4. How can I solve an instantaneous power problem?

In order to solve an instantaneous power problem, you will need to know the change in energy and the change in time. Once you have these values, you can use the formula P = ΔE/Δt to calculate the instantaneous power.

5. Why is understanding instantaneous power important?

Understanding instantaneous power is important because it allows us to measure and monitor how much energy is being used or transferred at a specific point in time. This can be useful in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and energy management.