Unsaturation are implied by the molecular formula C8H10ClNO?

In summary, the molecular formula C8H10ClNO implies a degree of unsaturation of 4, which can be calculated using the formula 2nC+2-nH+nN-nX/2. This means there could be a combination of 4 rings, double bonds, or triple bonds in the molecule. Examples of molecules with 4 degrees of unsaturation could include those with ether and amine groups, amide groups, or amine and ketone groups.
useful_idiot
How many elements of unsaturation are implied by the molecular formula C8H10ClNO? Draw Three structure, one containing ether and amine group, one containing amide group, one containing amine and ketone group.

I have no clue where to begin and read the chapter. I will be very thankful...

Regards
-James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, useful_idiot :smile: . This seems to be a schoolwork related question, and so it should have been posted in the appropriate section. Anyway, I haven't heard of the term "elements" of unsaturation, but degree of unsaturation is something of which I have heard. It is defined as the number of rings plus number of double bonds plus twice the number of triple bonds in the system.

Recall from late General Chemistry or Organic Chemistry lectures that for an organic molecule containing carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and halogens, the degree of unsaturation is given by

[tex]\text{D.O.U}=\frac{2n_\text{C}+2-n_\text{H}+n_\text{N}-n_\text{X}}{2},[/tex]​

where [itex]n_\text{C}[/itex], [itex]n_\text{H}[/itex], and [itex]n_\text{N}[/itex] are the number of carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen atoms in the molecule of interest, respectively, and where [itex]n_\text{X}[/itex] is the total number of halogens. Notice that the expression for the degree of unsaturation does not involve the number of oxygen atoms.

(as a rather good exercise, try to rationalize the above expression based on the defenition of the degree of unsaturation)

So, for your molecule, [itex]\text{C}_8\text{H}_{10}\text{ClNO}[/itex], we have

[tex]n_\text{C}=8,[/tex]
[tex]n_\text{H}=10,[/tex]
[tex]n_\text{N}=1,\text{ and}[/tex]
[tex]n_\text{X}=1,[/tex]

So, a direct substitution of these quantities into the expression for the degree of unsaturation yields

[tex]\text{D.O.U}=\frac{2(8)+2-10+1-1}{2}=4.[/tex]​

Therefore, we shuold expect a combination of 4 rings, double bonds, triple bonds. (Be sure to weight the triple bonds accordingly since each counts as two degrees of unsaturation).

Based on this, we shuold expect to see a myriad molecules with 4 degrees of unsaturation. See if you can come up with the molecules on your own. If you're stuck; I'd be glad to assist you. :biggrin: Take care.

Thanks a lot mate! I had that question posted last night when I was doing the assignement. I kind of procrastinated. Finally I did find the formula posted above and found an answer. Thanks once again...

What is meant by unsaturation in a molecule?

Unsaturation refers to the presence of double or triple bonds between carbon atoms in a molecule. These bonds are not fully saturated with hydrogen atoms, hence the term "unsaturated".

How can the number of unsaturated bonds be determined from a molecular formula?

By analyzing the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms in a molecule, the number of unsaturation can be calculated. For every two fewer hydrogen atoms than the maximum possible for a given number of carbon atoms, one unsaturation is implied.

How is unsaturation indicated in a molecular formula?

In a molecular formula, the presence of double or triple bonds is usually indicated by parentheses around the unsaturated part of the molecule, followed by a numerical subscript indicating the number of unsaturations. In the case of C8H10ClNO, the "NO" part suggests the presence of one double bond, while the "C8H10Cl" part is fully saturated.

What is the significance of knowing the degree of unsaturation in a molecule?

The number of unsaturated bonds in a molecule can provide important information about its chemical reactivity and properties. Molecules with multiple unsaturated bonds tend to be more reactive and may undergo addition reactions to form new compounds.

Can unsaturation be determined from other structural clues besides the molecular formula?

Yes, unsaturation can also be determined from other structural features such as the number of rings or the presence of functional groups. For example, a molecule with a benzene ring (C6H6) and a double bond (C=C) would have two unsaturations, even though its molecular formula may not explicitly indicate this.