Node Voltage Analysis for Finding V1 in a Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding V1 in a circuit and the different approaches taken by the person and their professor. The person rearranged the components in a series circuit, but their professor included an additional 4Ω resistor. The professor explained that each term in a node equation represents a branch current and rearranging the components does not change the overall current or potential drop. The person understands now and appreciates the clarification.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find V1. I attached a picture for the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did (Refer to Fig. 1):

-2A + (V1)/(50) +(V1-45)/(1) = 0

But when I looked at the solution my professor posted this is what he did (Redrew Fig.1 as Fig.2):

-2A + (V1)/(50) +(V1-45)/(1+4) = 0

I thought you were finding the potential difference between V1 and the voltage source? I don't understand why he included the 4Ω resistor. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Circuit2.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org
Each term of a node equation represents a branch current. A branch is a series-connected set of components lying between two nodes. The current flows through the entire branch. For the branch in question there are two resistors and one voltage supply stretching between node V1 and the reference node.

Edit: I should mention that rearranging the components in a series circuit does not change the current or end-to-end potential drop. It's like rearranging the terms of a sum of terms in math; they add up to the same value no matter the order.

Likes jdawg
Thanks for clearing that up!

1. What is Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to write equations for the currents flowing into and out of each node, and then solving for the unknown node voltages using these equations.

2. When is Node Voltage Analysis used?

Node Voltage Analysis is used when analyzing circuits with multiple nodes and voltage sources. It is particularly useful for finding voltages at specific nodes, which can then be used to calculate other circuit parameters such as current and power.

3. How is Node Voltage Analysis performed?

To perform Node Voltage Analysis, you first need to label each node in the circuit and choose a reference node. Then, you use KCL to write equations for each node in terms of the unknown node voltages. These equations are then solved simultaneously using algebraic manipulation or matrix methods, resulting in the values for the unknown node voltages.

4. What are the advantages of using Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving circuit problems. It also eliminates the need for multiple KCL equations and simplifies the calculations. Additionally, it can be used for both DC and AC circuits.

5. What are the limitations of Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis assumes that all the components in the circuit are in series, which may not always be the case. It also only works for circuits with a single source of power. Additionally, it may become more complex and time-consuming to solve for larger circuits with a high number of nodes.