1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Node Voltage Analysis

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find V1. I attached a picture for the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I did (Refer to Fig. 1):

-2A + (V1)/(50) +(V1-45)/(1) = 0

But when I looked at the solution my professor posted this is what he did (Redrew Fig.1 as Fig.2):

-2A + (V1)/(50) +(V1-45)/(1+4) = 0

I thought you were finding the potential difference between V1 and the voltage source? I don't understand why he included the 4Ω resistor. Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Each term of a node equation represents a branch current. A branch is a series-connected set of components lying between two nodes. The current flows through the entire branch. For the branch in question there are two resistors and one voltage supply stretching between node V1 and the reference node.

Edit: I should mention that rearranging the components in a series circuit does not change the current or end-to-end potential drop. It's like rearranging the terms of a sum of terms in math; they add up to the same value no matter the order.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3
    Thanks for clearing that up!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted