Use of phasor representation in physics

In summary, phasors are good for waves of constant frequency, and electrical engineers use them for AC circuits.
Abel I Daniel
Why do we use phasor representation in physics..For example,why we need maxwells equation in phasor form as well??

Physics news on Phys.org
Phasors are good for waves of constant frequency ... hence electrical engineers use them for AC circuits, and they use them a lot.

So you will probably only use phasors while studying AC circuits; they are useful only for linear systems.

ok ,thank you for the reply...what made me ask this question is-i saw maxwells equations(electromagnetic) written in phasor form from dpoint form by just substituting d/dt with jw..So what my questin is ,what is the implication of removing that time factor from that equation??

They were working in frequency space ... same place you go with the Laplace transform, or its cousin the Fourier transform.

In this case they assumed that the electromagnetic field was a harmonic wave - and plugged this into Maxwell's equations - leaving you with the "Phasor form of Maxwell's equations".

Here is a lecture which includes the derivation: http://ivp.ee.cuhk.edu.hk/~ele3310/data/ELE3310_Tutorial_10.pdf

Another reason is that properties of media are "easy". For example, for electric field:
[tex]
\mathbf{D} = \epsilon_0 \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{P}
[/tex]
but it is only for a single frequency that
[tex]
\mathbf{P}(\omega) = \epsilon_0 \chi_e (\omega) \mathbf{E}(\omega).
[/tex]
In the time domain we in general have a convolution,
[tex]
\mathbf{P}(t) = \epsilon_0 \int^t d\tau \, \, \, \chi_e (\tau) \mathbf{E}(t-\tau).
[/tex]

jason

Abel I Daniel said:
ok ,thank you for the reply...what made me ask this question is-i saw maxwells equations(electromagnetic) written in phasor form from dpoint form by just substituting d/dt with jw..So what my questin is ,what is the implication of removing that time factor from that equation??

You can assume a time dependence of exp(jwt) without losing generality due to the principle of superposition. For incident fields with multiple frequency components, you can solve Maxwell's equations for each frequency component, then sum the solutions at the end as required.

Claude.

1. What is a phasor representation in physics?

A phasor representation in physics is a mathematical tool used to represent the amplitude and phase of an oscillating quantity, such as a wave or electric current. It is a complex number that combines the magnitude and phase angle of the oscillation into a single quantity.

2. How is phasor representation used in physics?

Phasor representation is used in physics to simplify the analysis of oscillating systems. It allows us to treat the amplitude and phase of the oscillation as a single variable, making it easier to solve problems involving waves or alternating currents. It also allows us to use the techniques of complex numbers to solve these problems.

3. What are the advantages of using phasor representation in physics?

There are several advantages to using phasor representation in physics. Firstly, it simplifies the analysis of oscillating systems by reducing the number of variables involved. Secondly, it allows us to use the techniques of complex numbers to solve problems, which can often make the calculations easier. Lastly, it helps to visualize the behavior of oscillating systems by representing them as rotating vectors in the complex plane.

4. Are there any limitations to using phasor representation in physics?

While phasor representation is a useful tool in physics, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to linear systems, meaning that the amplitude and phase of the oscillation cannot change in a non-linear manner. Additionally, it cannot be used to analyze systems with time-varying parameters.

5. Can phasor representation be used in other fields besides physics?

Yes, phasor representation can be used in other fields besides physics. It is commonly used in electrical engineering to analyze alternating currents and in signal processing to analyze waves and vibrations. It can also be applied in other areas such as acoustics, optics, and mechanical engineering to analyze oscillating systems.