Using a Power Series to approximate a definite integral

In summary, the problem is that the student is not sure how to find an approximation for the power series and is looking for a way to find an error that is less than 10-5.
Bazzinga
[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1210/11096142.png

Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this question...

I think I have the right power series:

[tex]= \frac{1}{1-x} + \frac{x}{1-x} [/tex]
[tex]= (1+x+x^{2}+x^{3}+...)(x+x^{2}+x^{3}+x^{4}+...) [/tex]
[tex]= 1+2x+2x^{2}+2x^{3}+2x^{4}+... [/tex]
[tex]= 1 + \sum^{infinity}_{n=1} 2x^{n} [/tex]

Then I integrate to get:

[tex] \int^{1/10}_{0} 1 + \sum^{infinity}_{n=1} 2x^{n} dx [/tex]
[tex]=x + \sum^{infinity}_{n=1} \frac{2x^{n+1}}{n+1}|^{1/10}_{0} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{10} + \sum^{infinity}_{n=1} \frac{(1/5)^{n+1}}{n+1} [/tex]

So I have the integral, I'm just not sure how to find an answer such that the error is less than 10-5 (I've never been any good with errors...)

We did learn in class today something where the error is less than
[tex] \frac{M}{(n+2)!} (b-a)^{n+2} [/tex]

Am I supposed to rearrange this formula? And what's M?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you keep n+1 terms in your sum and neglect the rest, this formula gives you the (maximal) error you can have. M is the maximum of the (n+1)-st derivative of your function over the interval [a,b]=[0,1/10], which is in your case given by the next term in the power series, the first one you neglected, times (n+1)!, since you use a power series and not (directly) the derivative.
Beware: you may have to change n+1 for n+2 above, I'm not quite sure there, usually one truncates a series at the termn and then in the formulae there are n+1's insteadof the n+2 you gave us ...

One other note: When evaluating the limits inside the Sigma, exponentiation takes precedence over multiplication by coefficients. For 2 * x^(n+1) evaluated at x = 1/10, the correct evaluation is expressed as 2*(1/10)^(n+1), so that (1/10) is raised to the power (n+1) BEFORE multiplying by 2.

I must have copied down the formula wrong, woops!

Im still not understanding.. I can find the error when finding an approximation for the series, but I don't understand how to find an approximation of the series when I have an error...

Instead of summing all terms in your result up to n=infinity, you just sum until a finite n=N. This is your approximation. Of course it isn't correct, but there comes the error formula: it tells you how big your mistake can be at most.
Therefore, you have to find a N such that the error, evaluated for that N, is smaller than 10^(-5), and use this N. (You should get N=4).

I ended up using trial and error and I ended up with N=4. I'm not sure if there's a better way to find M, but I made a list of derivatives and found it that way and that worked! Thanks!

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ an(x−c)n, where an and c are constants and x is a variable. It can be used to represent a function as an infinite polynomial.

2. How can a power series be used to approximate a definite integral?

A power series can be used to approximate a definite integral by substituting the function into the power series and integrating term by term. This results in a sum of infinite polynomial terms, which can be evaluated to approximate the definite integral.

3. What is the benefit of using a power series to approximate a definite integral?

The benefit of using a power series to approximate a definite integral is that it allows for a more accurate and precise estimation compared to traditional numerical methods. Additionally, it can be used to approximate integrals of functions that may not have a closed-form solution.

4. What are the limitations of using a power series to approximate a definite integral?

One limitation of using a power series to approximate a definite integral is that it can be time-consuming and computationally intensive for complex functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation is dependent on the number of terms used in the power series.

5. Are there any precautions that should be taken when using a power series to approximate a definite integral?

Yes, there are some precautions that should be taken when using a power series to approximate a definite integral. It is important to ensure that the function being integrated can be represented by a power series and that the series converges for the given interval. Additionally, the number of terms used in the power series should be carefully chosen to balance accuracy and computational efficiency.