Using Cross Products To Find Electric Field Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged particle moving through a region with both electric and magnetic fields. The goal is to find the electric field vector E that will result in zero net force on the particle. The relevant equation of F = qV x B is used, but the initial calculation is incorrect due to not considering the direction of the magnetic field. After corrections, the correct electric field vector is found to be -2187x + 2673y.
kmj9k
A charged particle moves through a region of space containing both electric and magnetic fields. The velocity of the particle is v = (3.3 x 10^3 m/s) x + (2.7 x 10^3 m/s) y and the magnetic field is B = (0.81 T) z. Find the electric field vector E necessary to yield zero net force on the particle.

Relevant equations: F = qV x B (magnetic force)

I know you should probably use cross products for this problem, but I'm unsure of how to use that method in the context of this problem. They're talking about zero net force, so first I tried to find the magnetic force using F = qV x B and got 2673 x + 2187 y. I'm guessing the electric force should cancel this out. I'm stuck on how to proceed from here, and I don't think I even started the problem correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, FM= q VxB and FE= qE. But how did you get that value for VxB? Your B is is in the z direction while V is in the xy-plane. The vectors are orthogonal and their cross product is 0. If the values are as stated, then there is no magnetic force on the particle and E must be 0!

Hmm I'm more confused than ever. I realize that E will have x, y and z components...but how do I get there? I'm sorry, I think I'll need step-by-step assistance. I think the vectors aspect is the big stumbling block for me.

Last edited:
You started from the wrong place - the force law is

[tex] \vec{F} = q(\vec{V}\times\vec{B}) + q\vec{E}[/tex]

Set the LHS to zero and it's elementary (?)

Oooh I see now. I wasn't thinking of the cross products of vectors correctly (ie, I was thinking of the magnetic field as a scalar). Remembering that it's 0.81 *Z* I got -2187x + 2673y for the electric field using the equation above and got it right.

Thanks so much to all the posters for pointing me in the right direction!

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the vector product of two vectors. It results in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

2. How is a cross product used to find the electric field vector?

The cross product is used to find the electric field vector by taking the cross product of the electric field and the distance vector between the point where the electric field is being calculated and the source of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the electric field vector?

The direction of the electric field vector indicates the direction in which a positive charge would move if placed in the electric field. It also represents the direction of the force exerted on a positive charge in the electric field.

4. Can the cross product be used to find the electric field vector for a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, the cross product can be used to find the electric field vector for both uniform and non-uniform electric fields. However, the calculations may be more complex for non-uniform fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using the cross product to find the electric field vector?

One limitation is that the cross product method assumes that the electric field is constant throughout the area being studied. It may not accurately represent the electric field in areas with varying field strength or direction.