Using Dimension Formula of a Matrix

The notation V∩W means the intersection of the two vector spaces V and W. This means that the set of all vectors that are in both V and W. In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the formula dim(V+W)+dim(V∩W) = dim(V) + dim(W) and substitute V as the row space of matrix A, W as the null space of matrix A, and the rank of matrix A as r. This will give us the dimensions of V+W and V∩W, which we can then use to solve for dim(V+W).
tatianaiistb

Homework Statement

If VΩW contains only the zero vector, then dim(V+W)+dim(VΩW) = dim(v) + dim(W) becomes dim(V+W) = dim(v) + dim(W). Check this when V is the row space of A, W is the nullspace of A, and the matrix A is mxn of rank r. What are the dimensions?

Homework Equations

dim(V+W)+dim(VΩW) = dim(v) + dim(W)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to start this problem.

I do know that dim(V+W) + dim (VΩW) = rank of [A B] + nullity of [A B]

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you told us what thes symbols mean. I presume that V and W are vectors but what is [itex]\Omega[/itex] and what do you mean by [itex]V\Omega W[/itex]?

I'm sorry! That symbol means V intersects W... And yes, V and W are vectors.

tatianaiistb said:
I'm sorry! That symbol means V intersects W... And yes, V and W are vectors.
No, V and W are vector spaces.

1. What is the dimension formula for a matrix?

The dimension formula for a matrix is the number of rows multiplied by the number of columns. It can be written as m x n, where m is the number of rows and n is the number of columns.

2. Why is the dimension formula important in matrix operations?

The dimension formula is important because it determines whether two matrices can be multiplied together. In order for two matrices to be multiplied, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix.

3. Can the dimension formula be applied to matrices of any size?

Yes, the dimension formula can be applied to matrices of any size. It is a general formula that works for all matrices, regardless of their dimensions.

4. How does the dimension formula affect the shape of a matrix?

The dimension formula determines the shape of a matrix. The dimensions of a matrix indicate the number of rows and columns it has, which determines its overall shape.

5. What happens if the dimension formula is not followed in matrix operations?

If the dimension formula is not followed in matrix operations, the operation cannot be completed and an error will occur. This is because the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix in order to perform matrix multiplication.