Finding Minimum with Lagrange Multipliers

In summary: Oh! I'm sorry.. this is confusing. So x and y have to be sqrt(3) to satisfy that equation, so these are my critical...
smashyash

Homework Statement

Find the minimum of f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 subject to the constraint g(x,y) = xy-3 = 0

Homework Equations

delF = lambda * delG

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, after lecture, reviewing the chapter and looking at some online information, this is what I have so far:
(using l for lambda)

x^2 + y^2 -(l)(xy-3)
x^2 + y^2-xyl-3l

find critical points:

Fx = 2x-ly = 0 --> 2x = ly --> x = ly/2
Fy = 2y-lx = 0 --> 2y = lx --> y = lx/2
Fl = -xy-3 = 0

so then substituting x and y values into the Fl equation,

(ly/2)(lx/2) - 3 = 0

so in all the examples I've seen, there's never an x or y in this equation, it should all be in terms of lambda. So what do I do know? I'm stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try, for example, putting x=ly/2 into y=lx/2.

Dick said:
Try, for example, putting x=ly/2 into y=lx/2.

Ok, I've done that and through the magic of algebra...

l^3*y^2 = 12

Isn't this still a problem because I'm trying to solve for l to get my critical points... right??

smashyash said:
Ok, I've done that and through the magic of algebra...

l^3*y^2 = 12

Isn't this still a problem because I'm trying to solve for l to get my critical points... right??

My magic of algebra tells me that y=l^2*y/4. So I can find the possible values of l or that y=0 (which isn't true from the constraint). Try that again.

Dick said:
My magic of algebra tells me that y=l^2*y/4. So I can find the possible values of l or that y=0 (which isn't true from the constraint). Try that again.

Oops! Yes, you're right. I was getting ahead of myself. This problem seems very different than others I've done..

so y = l^2*y/4

So now do I plug this y value into my constraint xy-3=0? Along with my x value gives me..

-[l^3*y^2]/8 + 3 = 0

I'm not sure where to go from here..

smashyash said:
Oops! Yes, you're right. I was getting ahead of myself. This problem seems very different than others I've done..

so y = l^2*y/4

So now do I plug this y value into my constraint xy-3=0? Along with my x value gives me..

-[l^3*y^2]/8 + 3 = 0

I'm not sure where to go from here..

Figure out what the possible values of l are first. l^2/4=1, right?

Dick said:
Figure out what the possible values of l are first. l^2/4=1, right?

I values to satisfy the equation y = l^2*y/4 ??

wouldn't that just be 2 or -2?

I'm sorry, this is all very new to me.

smashyash said:
I values to satisfy the equation y = l^2*y/4 ??

wouldn't that just be 2 or -2?

I'm sorry, this is all very new to me.

That's ok. It takes a while to get used to. Sure l=2 or -2. (Since y can't be zero - otherwise you need to keep track of that possibility). So what's the relation between x and y?

Dick said:
That's ok. It takes a while to get used to. Sure l=2 or -2. (Since y can't be zero - otherwise you need to keep track of that possibility). So what's the relation between x and y?

well, since x = ly/2 and y = lx/2, does this mean that y = x??

smashyash said:
well, since x = ly/2 and y = lx/2, does this mean that y = x??

What about x=(-y)? 'l' can be -2 also, yes?

Dick said:
What about x=(-y)? 'l' can be -2 also, yes?

oh! yes, I suppose that is also true... how do we incorporate both a + and - value?

smashyash said:
oh! yes, I suppose that is also true... how do we incorporate both a + and - value?

That's only from what you know so far given l=2 or l=(-2). x=(-y) might not work in the constraint. Does it?

Dick said:
That's only from what you know so far given l=2 or l=(-2). x=(-y) might not work in the constraint. Does it?

I may be off here but my constraint is g(x,y)= x*y -3 =0

If we plug in -y for x, we get (-y)*y - 3 = 0 or -y^2 - 3 = 0

so the sign doesn't matter as it's canceled out by the square??

smashyash said:
I may be off here but my constraint is g(x,y)= x*y -3 =0

If we plug in -y for x, we get (-y)*y - 3 = 0 or -y^2 - 3 = 0

so the sign doesn't matter as it's canceled out by the square??

Hmm. -y^2-3 is never zero. Is it? I didn't mean to say x=(-y) IS a solution. I just wanted you to tell me why it wasn't. So yes, that makes the only possibility x=y.

Dick said:
Hmm. -y^2-3 is never zero. Is it? I didn't mean to say x=(-y) IS a solution. I just wanted you to tell me why it wasn't. So yes, that makes the only possibility x=y.

Oh! I'm sorry.. this is confusing. So x and y have to be sqrt(3) to satisfy that equation, so these are my critical points??

smashyash said:
Oh! I'm sorry.. this is confusing. So x and y have to be sqrt(3) to satisfy that equation, so these are my critical points??

When you are doing Lagrange multipliers you get bits of information one at a time as you solve parts of the problem. It's sort of a detective job. When you figured out y=l^2*y/4 that meant either y=0 or l=2 or l=(-2). You can eliminate y=0 by looking at the constraint. You can also eliminate l=(-2) the same way. So 'l' must be 2 and x=y. It might be a little confusing because applying the method isn't totally cookbook. You have to think. Yes, x=sqrt(3) and y=sqrt(3) is one critical point. There's another one. Can you find it?

Dick said:
When you are doing Lagrange multipliers you get bits of information one at a time as you solve parts of the problem. It's sort of a detective job. When you figured out y=l^2*y/4 that meant either y=0 or l=2 or l=(-2). You can eliminate y=0 by looking at the constraint. You can also eliminate l=(-2) the same way. So 'l' must be 2 and x=y. It might be a little confusing because applying the method isn't totally cookbook. You have to think. Yes, x=sqrt(3) and y=sqrt(3) is one critical point. There's another one. Can you find it?

The only other numeric to satisfy this would be -(sqrt(3)). That's just from looking at the equation. Is this right?

smashyash said:
The only other numeric to satisfy this would be -(sqrt(3)). That's just from looking at the equation. Is this right?

Sure. That's right.

What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with certain constraints. It allows for optimization problems to be solved without needing to explicitly solve for the constraints.

How do you use Lagrange multipliers to solve optimization problems?

To use Lagrange multipliers, you first set up the objective function and the constraints as a system of equations. Then, you use the Lagrange multiplier as a scaling factor to find the critical points of the function. Finally, you plug the critical points into the objective function to determine the maximum or minimum value.

What types of problems can be solved using Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers can be used to solve optimization problems in many fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering. They can also be used to solve problems in calculus, such as finding the extreme values of a function subject to constraints.

What are the limitations of using Lagrange multipliers?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that it can only find local extrema, not global extrema. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive for problems with multiple constraints or variables.

How do Lagrange multipliers relate to the method of undetermined multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers and the method of undetermined multipliers are essentially the same concept, but they are used in different contexts. Lagrange multipliers are used in the context of solving optimization problems, while the method of undetermined multipliers is used in the context of solving systems of differential equations.