Master the Chain Rule: A Guide to Finding Derivatives of Complex Functions

In summary, Using the "Chain Rule" one can solve for derivatives with the following steps: 1. Let u = \cos(\sin^{2} x) 2. Then y = \sqrt{u} 3. Then \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{2}u^{-\frac{1}{2}} \frac{du}{dx} 4. What is \frac{du}{dx} ?du/dx would be -sin(sin^2x)*2*sinxcosx right? 5. We use the chain rule to get:
loadsy
Using the "Chain Rule"

Alright I've been working on some more practice problems and doing fairly well in finding the correct derivative, until I came to this question:

y = [PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/6/0/160a5b4ac79375bd4c5e13c0f3a95f73.pngcos(sin^2x)[/URL] (everything is under the square root sign)

We know that f'(x) = 1/2X^-(1/2) or 1/(2(root)X) and g'(x) = cos(sin^2x) I believe.

But I'm having troubles trying to imply our chain rule into the problem. Can anyone help me try and interpret this derviative? I just want to say that you guys have been great in helping me understand my mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] y = \sqrt{\cos(\sin^{2}x)}[/tex]. Let [tex] u = \cos(\sin^{2} x) [/tex]. Then [tex] y = \sqrt{u} [/tex]

Then [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{2}u^{-\frac{1}{2}} \frac{du}{dx} [/tex]. What is [tex] \frac{du}{dx} [/tex]?

Last edited:
du/dx would be -sin(sin^2x)*2*sinxcosx right?

* meaning multiply

that is correct.

Alright sweet, so now we have to use the chain rule I believe? However, we have to use our du's right, and I'm not sure what steps to do from here.

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{2}u^{-\frac{1}{2}} \frac{du}{dx} [/tex]

This is the chain rule. multiply [tex] \frac{du}{dx} [/tex] by [tex] \frac{1}{2}u^{-\frac{1}{2}} [/tex].

We really have [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx} [/tex]

Ohhh okay I see what you are saying now. Gotcha amigo! Thanks!

One last little question I've got for you for now, thanks a lot everyone, especially you courtrigrad, you've helped out a lot. It asks y= cos(pi)x/ (sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x)

We know f(x) = cos(pi)x and g(x) = sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x

y' = dy/dx = g(x)f'(x)-f(x)g'(x)/ g(x)^2

And we know that the f'(x) = -1 since cos(pi)x = -1x and g'(x) = -1 since sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x= 0x+-1x = -1x

Subbing into our formula, we get:
sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x * (-1) - cos(pi)x * (-1)/ (sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x)^2 I believe, however, what's the next step from here in solving this derivative.

[tex] y = \frac{\cos(\pi x)}{\sin \pi x + \cos \pi x} [/tex].

[tex] f'(x) [/tex] does not equal 1. It is equaled to [tex] f'(x) = -\pi\sin \pi x [/tex].

and [tex] g'(x) = \pi\cos \pi x - \pi\sin \pi x [/tex]

Ahhh okay and then you sub those into our formula to get:
(sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x)(-pi(sin(pi)x) - cos(pi)x*(pi(cos(pi)x-pi(sin(pi)x) / (sin(pi)x+cos(pi)x)^2

Well basically what you said, but subbing them into our formula, it's hard to type it all out haha. But simplifying this expression proves difficult for me, you basically multiply to get everything out of the brackets, and I've even tried conversing with a few friends but they've been no help in answering, so even if you just show the next step after subbing in all our f(x), g(x), f'(x) and g'(x) values for simplifying this expression, I'm sure I can figure out the rest. You've been a great help though and real patient with me so thank you, if I could I'd give you a cookie haha.

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{(\sin \pi x + \cos \pi x)(-\pi\sin \pi x) - \cos \pi x(\pi\cos \pi x-\pi \sin \pi x)}{(\sin \pi x +\cos \pi x)^{2}} [/tex]

Expand it out:

[tex] \frac{-\pi \sin^{2} \pi x - \pi \sin \pi x\cos \pi x - \pi \cos^{2} \pi x + \pi \sin \pi x \cos \pi x}{\sin^{2} \pi x + 2\sin \pi x\cos \pi x + \cos^{2} \pi x} [/tex].

and use the identity [tex] \sin^{2} x + \cos^{2} x = 1 [/tex]

you should get: [tex] \frac{-\pi}{2\sin \pi x \cos \pi x + 1}[/tex]

Last edited:
Alrighty here's what I ended up with from that, since the (PI)sin(PI)xcos(PI)x's cancel out, we are left with:
= -(PI)[sin^2x + cos^2x] / sin^2(PI)x+2sin(PI)xcos(PI)x+cos^2(PI)x
And using our identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, we get,
-(PI) / sin^2(PI)x+2sin(PI)xcos(PI)x+cos^2(PI)x
= -(PI) / (sin^2(PI)x + cos^2(PI)x) + 2sin(PI)xcos(PI)x

the [tex] \sin^{2}\pi x + \cos^{2} \pi x = 1 [/tex] in the denominator. left out the 1, sorry.

Last edited:
Alright, so it just becomes -(PI)/ 1 + 2sin(PI)xcos(PI)x then, yeah I wasn't too sure whether or not we could use our identity for both the numerator and denominator, alright thanks for your help. :D I just want to say that you've done a fantastic job in helping me answer my problems, even some really silly mistakes you've noticed too along the way with 2/7 rather than 2/3 for that one tangent question, I was going too fast I guess and got carried away, but thanks a bunch.

Last edited:

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of complex functions that cannot be easily solved using basic derivative rules. It is essential in many applications of calculus, such as optimization, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the outer function and the inner function in the composite function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is obtained by substituting the inner function into the derivative formula for the corresponding variable.

4. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule?

Sure. Let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x + 3)². To find the derivative of this function, we first identify the outer function as (2x + 3)² and the inner function as 2x + 3. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function, which is 2(2x + 3), and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2. Therefore, the derivative of f(x) is 2(2x + 3)² * 2 = 4(2x + 3).

5. Are there any common mistakes when applying the chain rule?

Yes, some common mistakes when applying the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, incorrectly identifying the outer and inner functions, and making errors when substituting the inner function into the derivative formula. It is important to be careful and double-check your work when using the chain rule.